Thread: How to remap function keys on mac

How to remap function keys on mac

I need some help in remapping the function keys in a mac keyboard. You might be familiar with old apple keyboards. I want to remap those keys and provides them proper match in sequence. Like I want proper set the volume up, volume down and mute to F78, F18 and F19 keys. Does this is possible to do that. If yes then how can I modify the same in mac.

Re: How to remap function keys on mac

I am not sure about this. If you have a old keyboard then there are less chances. Better get a new keyboard with some multimedia features. By that you can stay away from doing any modification in your system. There are lots of new models launched and they are best compatible with mac system. I had recently changed my keyboard for some amount.

I need a similar help in this. I want to remap some function keys in my keyboard too. But I cannot find a proper application for the same. I need some help in assigning the brightness and volume control to the function keys. This is very helpful in most the case. Does there is any proper program which can provide settings for remapping keyboard keys.

I had changed my system recently. I was using Powerbook before. Now I had purchased a new Macbook Pro. Here the keyboard controls are not so familiar to use. I am not able to figure out the controls properly. So for that I need some help in remapping each of the function key of the keyboard as per my need. Like the Fn+F for increasing the volume of the system.

There are some tools online which can provide you help in this. I had found some threads where there was discussion on tool which can offer you to create customize keyboard shortcuts. The name of that software is Spark. This is a free tool and work on Mac. The tool offers you full function to remap a keyboard keys virtually. So that is quiet easy to use.

Yes I had used Spark on my system. It is a nice easy tool by which you can virtually remap your keyboard keys. You can also work on commands, text snippets and other applications. If you have decided to make some changed in the system commands then you have to tick on Display Notification Icon in the tool so that you can see the screen when you make necessary changes.

I have a wireless apple keyboard which I had purchased some time before. I am pretty much annoyed with the function key settings. I have some ticks that can provide you some help in tuning up the function keys in the keyboard. First run terminal and then type sudo vi /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHIDKeyboard.kext. In the generated list you have to go to the line 349. Here you can see the function key decoded. If you are familiar about different codes then you can modify the same here. Like 0x0007003a is the F1 key which is coded to 0xff010021 for brightness and I change that to 0x0007004d.