Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Ubuntu with the Windows 98

Operating Systems

Old 30-05-2010

Ubuntu with the Windows 98

I am having a very old computer in which Windows 98 is installed as an operating system. I ordered the CD Linux [Ubuntu]. Now I want to know that is it possible that it works on very old pc?? I am expecting some needful help from you members.!! Hoping that someone will be interested in helping me soon.

Old 30-05-2010

Re: Ubuntu with the Windows 98

If you have an older computer or low performance, it is recommended to use an operating system with limited resources, as Xubuntu. This type of system uses more system resources available to your computer :
  • If your computer has 192 MB or more RAM, use the Desktop CD of Xubuntu to install the operating system.
  • If your computer has less than 192 MB of RAM.
Note that if you have a small configuration, some features of the system could be turned off to conserve your resources. For example, if your graphics card has little memory virtual video (VRAM), image loading can not be displayed (you will see the loading instructions in text mode).
Video Card: RADEON X300/X550 Series
Old 30-05-2010

If you plan to use a computer as a workstation (as a client for LTSP terminal server for the Ubuntu Education Edition), only a computer that meets the minimum requirements set out above is necessary. This computer must have a graphics card and screen, and a network card. The absolute minimum is targeted towards server administrators, but also to those who wish to fully customize their system. This installation mode installs the packages vital system. You need to add after the packages that you find useful.
Old 30-05-2010

It is understood that with the strict requirements listed below, Ubuntu will be used only in console mode (no GUI). You can install and use a graphical interface with a computer more powerful, as recommended configurations above. Moreover, it is possible that you successfully install Ubuntu in a computer less powerful than that described by the next information, however, the facility could be very long and Ubuntu might not work to the best of his abilities. To enjoy the absolute minimum installation, you must use the Alternate Ubuntu CD or a variant.
Old 30-05-2010

Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed and working in computers with 32-bit processors and 64 bits. Installation discs are optimized for 32-bit processors can be used for installing Ubuntu or Kubuntu in computers with one or other of these types of processors. For installation optimized for 64-bit, you must use an installation disk optimized for 64-bit processors. On a GNU / Linux, it is fairly easy to replace a system component by another, including at the display. So you might consider replacing the window manager or the X server now by default. The manager of the 3D desktop effects easier to use if you are a beginner is Compiz-fusion : it is derived from the merger of Beryl and Compiz, and is integrated with Ubuntu since version 7.10 (Gutsy). A menu allows you to easily select the graphic effects that you like.
PDA * Dell Axim x51 | 128M Internal | 256M SD Card
Old 02-06-2010

The graphical environment is something quite complex and consists of several layers :
  • At the lowest level there is a physical element: the graphics card, which communicates with the computer with the drivers.
  • At a higher level there is the X server (X.org for example) that handles communication between some devices (including the graphics card, keyboard, etc..) And software system.
  • At a higher level there is the window manager. This program will use the X server and rely on its ability to draw windows and manage their travel on the desktop. Examples of window managers include metacity, kwin, xfwm4, Fluxbox, etc..

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , , ,