Thread: GRUB in Toshiba boot loader

GRUB in Toshiba boot loader

I am having a 320 GB hard drive in Toshiba with two operating systems Windows 7 and 9.10 result we want arrange the installation of Windows 7 with the press on the same CD install (I did this in normal mode), but note that made visible a primary partition of 105 MB that was hidden and where data are boot and I assign a letter then I cancel the installation, but followed the partition visible, without giving any importance to it when I give a restart to the check the grub I get the PC and didn't find the grub partition and therefore do not show me the list of operating systems. But my drive is healthy as a Ubuntu Live CD and mount the partitions which are in perfect condition except that there is also the partition is 105 MB (NTFS format) which was not visible before. So reviewing with the tool gparted disk and see that this partition instead of / dev / sda is now / dev/sda1 and the direction previously belonged to my drive C: the thing is that I do not know how to partition obscured boot my computer to boot normally.?! Need some quick response.

Re: GRUB in Toshiba boot loader

I suppose that in "normal mode" you mean you used the repair cd from the very Windows 7 and not boot CD? This boot partition of Win 7 is not a problem to make it visible, face-to-Win, but your problem now is that it has overwritten Grub and cancel the rest of the installation (I guess seven update) you can not enter any SO because the information the bootloader (MBR) is not correct. I do not know if you've tried to fix the grub with Supergrubdisk. If not then I would recommend you to try it.

Super Grub Disk (SGD) is a tool distributed under GPL oriented boot recovery and restoration of our MBR system automatically. How to restore the boot, in this case I will explain how to do it for GRUB in Linux, first of all open bar service and records the image of Super Grub Disk on a cd, usb or floppy disk and boot your computer with the device containing DGS. In the menu we will move the cursor and ENTER key, these steps would be :
    1. Select the 'Super Grub Disk' from the menu.
    2. Select 'GNU / Linux'.
    3. Select 'Fix Boot of GNU / Linux (GRUB)'.
    4. Select the partition where Linux is our distribution.
    5. Check that SGD has worked and restored GRUB with the messages that we displayed.
    6. Exit the menu and restart the computer.

You had to make any ghost of any kind. only had to use backup software that all these pc have installed as a program in the profits of the same and those who turn your PC to your state of purchase, ie you have that program to make the recovery image if do not you have loaded on your recklessness. If you start your Windows 7 you'll see, eg, if toshiba mark in earnings for Toshiba, if it is a hp after quarters of the same and so with all the OEM pc. Anyway to make a copy / image of your system (if healthy) you can use the manuals of Ghost or Acronis we have in the computer manuals section, if a SATA I advise the latest versions of Acronis True Image is very good and easy to use.

Dr. V Guest

The only thing to know: the old grub can not boot a ext4 partition (which is the case if you have installed a brand new Ubuntu 9.10). The Debian default Grub is precisely the former (grub-legacy) for Fedora I do not know, find out. In all cases, you can (and I advise you to) do is not to install GRUB when installing from your distro, or better yet, install grub on the partition where you installed the distro, and not on the MBR. You therefore keep intact your current grub that you can either configure it to boot your new Linux distribution, or for that string on your new distro grub (installed on its own partition).

The following steps might help you :
    1. Choose the first option and start your live CD normally.
    2. Once loaded, open a terminal and as root password with sudo su
    3. Then you can browse your file / boot / grub and your / etc / default / grub
    4. Unfortunately, I am updating my server from a previous version, so I do not grub2
    5. As said qid, do an fdisk-l to list your partitions
    6. By cons, it is not cat / boot / grub / menu.lst but cat / etc / default / grub.cfg

I'm going to see one of Karmic install in Virtualbox to test, but we already post the contents of two orders.