Thread: Need help to place shortcut of home folder on desktop

Need help to place shortcut of home folder on desktop

Does anybody be familiar with how to add a shortcut to my home folder to my desktop. I searched the forums but did not locate the answer. I have a preference clicking on the Desktop and pressing Command + Up cursor key to go up a level. In view of the fact that the Desktop is basically a folder in your Home folder, going up intensity takes you to your Home folder. Simple. I have MS OS X 10.6.2 and yes the create Alias is Gray. On the other hand, I consider it would be easier presently to hit it off the Finder Icon on the deck and get to the Home Folder.

Re: Need help to place shortcut of home folder on desktop

You have to open your home folder (you are able to do this by clicking on the Finder image in the dock) and then Command-alternative-Left Click & Drag the home folder image from the title bar of the Finder window to the desktop. Voila, you have an alias to the home folder or, you are able to generate a representative link by using the following command in Terminal: ln -s ~/ ~/Desktop/Home.

You be able to in addition set your home folder to be the Finder's defaulting 'New Finder Window' location (if it is not previously). That method you be able to in addition get to it through spotlight. You be able to in addition maintain it opened in its open Spaces space and then switch to it with a key command. You be able to in addition put your home folder in the dock. You be able to in addition put your home folder in the side bar (if it's not previously there).

I tried responsibility Command + Option + Left Click and Drag it onto the desktop, on the other hand, I conventional the following message: “HOME” cannot be opened right at present for the reason that it’s being used by an additional task, such as moving or copying an item or emptying the Trash. Try another time when the current task is comprehensive. I actually desire my home folder on desktop as it would create it extremely convenient.

For me it's easier to have the folders I utilize the majority on the dock, i.e., documents, downloads, movies, & pictures. No motivation to go the desktop to open a folder when I am able to do it unswervingly from the dock. Your Home folder so you are able to highlight its image in the Finder Window. Secondary hit it off (right click or Control-click) on the image, and select create Alias. At present drag the alias to your Desktop.

I tried that and when I did right hit it off, there was no alternative to "create assumed name". I consider Command + L, does the similar thing right. I tried that as well, no accomplishment. Do you have an energetic create assumed name command in your Finder File Menu, or is it gray. Presently what do you observe when you highlight the Home Folder image and right click on it.

In Finder predilection, you are able to in addition set "innovative Finder windows open" to open your user folder. Then, the Finder image in Dock opens your user folder. This is why I stopped using an assumed name on the desktop. For the CLI command someone posted previous, I would recommend going with "ln -s ~ ~/Desktop/" to safeguard the proper folder name that is used everywhere else.