Thread: How to setup time machine on External Hard drive via airport

How to setup time machine on External Hard drive via airport

Is this probable without the time capsule. I am certain it’s been posted. I was using my exterior on my desktop with time apparatus. I required to switch it to the usb port on the tremendous so that my macbook pro be able to share the drive on time apparatus be able to someone help me with this. When I attach the drive to the tremendous. It demonstrate up in the airport effectiveness and demonstrate the capability but I am not capable to get time apparatus to observe that drive or even mount the airport disk onto my desktop. Can anyone help me out from this situation.

Re: How to setup time machine on External Hard drive via airport

I imagine with the innovative discharge of Airport it be supposed to be. Have you the entire the most recent Airport Utility updates. It be supposed to be at 5.3.1 you were saying that Disk Utility had originate it, but does the Extreme report it in the Airport physical Setup. Input the following in terminal. Defaulting write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes.

I am having a comparable difficulty when I set up the hard drive, it demonstrate up in the AirPort Utility less than Disks (attached), but I cannot observe the drives anywhere in addition similar to AirPort Disk Utility or as an alternative in Time Machine. File Sharing is turned on too. Seems to have runs for me too. It's backing up at present I determine to alter this if I have tribulations later.

I purchased an AirPort Extreme for the reason that I required it to do presently this. I have been fiddling approximately the internets for the past 2 weeks, (in view of the fact that the update came out,) trying to figure out how to do it, and here you have solved my troubles with one tiny command. In addition, I am super pumped for the reason that I at present have 2 externals hooked up to the back of my AirPort; one for file storage and an additional for backups.

You were having the accurate similar difficulty. You have airport tremendous with an external hooked to it. You be capable to on the other hand right of entry your hard drive for files, etc. But cannot get it to run with Time Machine. In the Finder, pull down the "Go" menu and choose Utilities. Launch Terminal. Type/paste into it: defaulting write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes.

I tried working the incurable fix and though I do not get an error in incurable (first time ever working terminal,), the exterior hard drive does not come into view in my finder. Finder predilection seems to have the whole thing relevant checked. No clue what to do next. Purchase a time capsule or determine to they be refreshing it soon do not imagine there's several innovative wireless standards coming out and 500 GB - 1tb almost certainly tranquil sufficient for the majority people.

When I originally set the exterior drive up I did certainly pursue the setup in AirPort Utility > Manual Setup > Disks. My AirPort tremendous then demonstrates up in the Shared area of the sidebar in finder. I then had to choose the AirPort tremendous to get the HD to demonstrate up in finder. I was then capable to right of entry the HD and run Time Machine backup. It worked for a day then quit. Are you conscious of several networks setting that necessitate to be changed.