Thread: How to remove Ubuntu Partition

How to remove Ubuntu Partition

I have a dual boot system in which I had installed Windows and Ubuntu. I had installed for sake of backup if my system crashed suddenly. But now I did not need Ubuntu. I can use the space in that partition for saving my files. But before removing that I need some help. I do not want that my system must crash after removing Ubuntu. What should be considered before doing this.

Re: How to remove Ubuntu Partition

That can be your recovery partition. If you have any unknown partitions on the system then they belong to Linux. You can do a simple things here. Right click on My Computer an then click on Manage. Now choose drive in which Linux is installed. Right click and delete that partition. You can again click on that and create a new partition in Windows.

Well if you delete your partitions your boot loader will be more closely matches with the operating system that is on your hard drive. As long as you do not start on what you've deleted the same.But anyway if the goal is to remove Ubuntu without affecting Windows. You have to determine here first that which is your primary operating system. Windows or Ubuntu, if Windows then you can use the above process.

To request the transfer of control under Linux (I know it) because you've seen a PC brand, not the XP cd but cd restoration, I do not think you can do so by booting on this type cd. If you had the xp cd it would launch the console and type fixmbr. It is also possible to transfer the grub or lilo with a diskette of Win98. Once on the guest control (A: \>) then type the fdisk / mbr.

The simple option. First I need to format the existing partition in a format recognized by XP (FAT or NTFS). You will have one more player in XP. CA is with most tools arranged on XP. The other option is to destroy linux partition (ext3) and expand the NTFS partition. You need the software partition magic for that. Finally, in all cases you must remove the multiboot system. You throw XP and you use the command fixmbr.

Grub boot loader is installed on the hard disk bootstrap (master boot record = BKD). Remove grub will not prevent Windows from starting (as before). This deletion can be done in several ways. After a boot on a win98 boot disk with the command - fdisk / mbr. After a boot on the installation CD of Windows (Recovery Console) with the command - fixmbr. After a boot on a live cd of knoppix with the command - sudo install-mbr / dev / hda (or sda).

Dr. V Guest

It is possible to remove by formatting the partition ubuntu but grub never leaves the partition. So begins the back windows boot first. If you really want to turn then tries grub with a floppy disk (created under windows) and then fixmbr (look on the net) and then you can look on the side of the livecd supergrub. A board simply changes the order of the boot from windows to first. You go on ubuntu from time to time just to test. Do not force things.