Thread: How to remove private folder form Mac

How to remove private folder form Mac

I deleted my /Private folder. I am not certain how I was capable to but I imagine I deleted some random diminutive files in my Mac HD previous to that and I do recall entering my password (the organizational / master password) to approve the deletion. So that's how I got into these circumstances. I would presently in addition approximating to say that I do not have my information backed up what I have Tried: - Rebooting in Single-User mode following some code I originate off a forum for someone who had merely deleted their /var folder- Failed! Essentially I have category of made a consecrated mess of things. Can anybody help me in this problem.

Re: How to remove private folder form Mac

Unthinkingly did this too. Establish out from side to side trial and error that as long as you have not empty the trash, then you be able to boot off a leopard DVD and go to utilities and open incurable and then utilize cp command to copy it back to its innovative location using something similar to this: cp -R /volumes/"Macintosh HD"/users/<username>/.Trash/private /volumes/"Macintosh HD"/private. Do not be anxious regarding a few socket error messages, the command determine to complete, and then you determine to expectantly be capable to boot into leopard without several problems.

I finished up taking my system to the Genius Bar. The first time I went, the Genius told me there was not anything they might do. The second time I went, the Genius (dissimilar one) told me they might create a picture / copy of my HD on an exterior HD, and re-install Leopard on my laptop. With that re-installed, I might drag files back from my exterior back onto my HD. Thanks for the recommendation although. Optimistically no one else requirements it.

Immediately did this at the moment (Do not have my CD on me, I did not unfilled my recycle bin, necessitate to get my system working asap. Anyone have some ideas for getting a terminal window open without an osx cd. Several methodical examination, a number of trial and error and I permanent it for fear that anybody comes into the similar quandary as I did without having your CD, in this way you can fix it. HOLD <command + S> - boots you into "Single user mode" TYPE mount -uw /. It permits you to create modification to your hard drive. Then you have to type ditto /volumes/"Macintosh HD"/users/<username>/.Trash/private /volumes/"Macintosh HD"/private. Copies your private folder back.

So I am essentially retarded when it comes to this technological substance, and I unintentionally deleted my private folder too. I encompass not restarted my system yet and I am trying to appreciate what I am supposed to do I am figuring I have to first I have to restart my system with the install CD in it. Then after that I have to hold down command-s then physically enter cp -R/volumes/"Macintosh HD"/users/<username>/.Trash/private/volumes/"Macintosh HD"/private is that right. Do I enter it presently similar to that space subsequent to the cp.

I used "what size" to discover out what I might delete off my system. Currently, I encompass used it a couple of times and have yet to observe my private folder so big. The position of the big file is under /private/var/vm/swapfile5 which are 1g. At present there are additional swap files with slighter sized. Namley 512, 256,128, 64, and 64 again. At present how would I go regarding getting rid of them. Do I basically delete the file. I imagine I recall somebody else having this difficulty long ago, but hell if I be able to discover it. In addition, am I passionate to imagine that I have not seen this previous to or did I observe it and not acknowledge it.

Several additional explanations for you. It's practical memory (that's why it says vm). They are the files where your Mac provisions the memory that it cannot fit in RAM. Do not delete them, if you administer to do that, your system determine to the majority probable kernel panic. Similar to the others say, they determine to go away with a restart and then start to build up again if you utilize the system expansively. The additional submission you have working at the similar time, the larger these files determine to get.