Thread: Change Unique Disk ID

Change Unique Disk ID

Hello,
    I am under Windows home server and I need a way to change my disk ID. This is because I have a cloned copy of the disk and need to clone it on my machine. When ever I try to do this the unique ID restricts me to clone it. I have tried several disk utilities, but no use. So, how do we change the disk ID? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Change Unique Disk ID

I do have a similar kind of a problem with my computer. I get errors in my event log system causing the lag in an software, the slowdown that often result in a reboot of my hand. Here is the error that I obtain or rather the errors because they are repeated in bursts every 10 sec + -:
    Code:
    An error was detected on device \ Device \ Harddisk0 \ D during a paging operation.
    I already did a test done with HD Tune and it tells me that the HDD, the result is fine. I have only one internal SATA hard drive. Any help is great.

Open the desktop, right-click on your
    Code:
    C: drive -> Properties Menu -> Tools Tab -> Button "Check Now"
    You can also check repair and look. Then you restart your PC, it will launch a checkdisk probably more effective. In the event log Right click on My Computer -> Manage -> Event Viewer -> Application, there will surely be a line where the "Source" column will be "Winlogon''. If you double- Click above you will have the report of the scan (but only if it found errors).

For users of RAID system, it must also go to:
    Code:
    config panel => system => Hardware => Device Manager => SCSI and RAID => NVIDIA nforce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller
    Then uncheck all the options "Enable command queuing" the command queuing disabled solves the problem but it is best to move the disks in SATA II and SATA command queuing. In addition, it reduces drive noise as they mean default.

With "VolumeID v2.0 application, you can just follow these steps

1 - Click "Start," then click "Run ...", then type" cmd.exe ";
    Dialog "Run ..." Key = (Windows) (r) + key ;-)

2 - Type "?: \ Path-to-complete \ Volumeid.exe" then the drive letter to change? "And the code; Volumeid.exe

3 - "reboot", please, i.e retart.

I think this trick should work for you.

Hello to change the Id of a drive (for example we will change the id of the drive do the following:
    1. After unzip the file volumeid.exe volumeid up on the root c: (for easy access);
    2. click start> run and type cmd;
    3. slap a DOS window cd \
    4. pat volumeid.exe K: (* denotes the numbers 0 through 9 and letters between A and F) is in hexadecimal and must not forget the hyphen -; and here the reader to a new id (a reboot may proves necessary.

As far as I remember, this serial number which is a remnant of the glorious days of DOS is actually dated (in binary) formatting the disk. This data is stored on disk somewhere (I do not even know if this is not a directory entry for the root of HDD). It is legal to reformat the hard drive (with all the complications it brings reinstall) So from there, there is at least one legal method to change the serial.

In my opinion,
    - This data is not unique in the world (2 discs formatted in the same time have
    the same serial) Serial * This is easily changed (programs do)
    - It seems not very serious to base a system of licensing / protection of any
    kind on this serial (although some software / OS do)