Thread: Mac OS Extended vs Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Mac OS Extended vs Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

I need your need your help to sort out my confusion about the. I am not getting what is the exact difference between the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Mac OS Extended file system. And which is the best among these two. I have referred many websites but didn't get any properly details over this. If you have any suggestions over Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Mac OS Extended, then please let me aware about that. Your any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Mac OS Extended vs Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Mac OS Extended Journaling file system aspect (eg: HFS +, ZFS, NTFS, etc.) A journaling file system is the one who maintain a details of all fail-safe read / write, and update the details of what procedure complete successfully. This "log" file enables the system to continue in a state known to be immune to crashes. I hope it will resolve your confusion.

The Mac OS Extended is a system file that is also referred as HFS Plus. This operating system may be broken or not, each with its advantages and drawback. Logging is not limited to the Mac OS other operating systems are also likely to have a system of journaling. Logging is a foolproof method to prevent unnecessary data anomaly on the disc due to a system crash in the middle of a file operation.

Logging for the Mac OS Extended (HFS Plus) improves system availability of files, and fault resilience, which is particularly remarkable for servers. Journaling protects the integrity of the file system on X server and other computers using Mac OS X Server in the event of an unplanned shutdown or power failure. It also helps to maximize the availability of servers and storage devices connected by accelerating the repair of affected volumes when the system reboots.

The downside of the Mac OS Extended (Journaled), your operating system should normally take a hit because of the processing power that must be devoted to the system logger itself. Saving and updating files that contain the list of operations to take a few CPU cycles and disk bandwidth. The amount of performance degradation that you take is rather low, especially if you're a casual user who uses a Mac to surf the Internet or creating documents.

I strongly recommend to use Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for external drives. It will probably be useful if you accidentally disconnect the player during the transfer of files, for example. The impact on performance that comes from allowing logging is negligible on modern equipment. Spotlight indexing is the process of observing all the changes to the file system and maintain an index of metadata for each file on the disc.

Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file system is component of a series of additional enhancements to the file system ‘Mac OS Extended’, and it is backward -compatible file system as Mac OS Extended. Users can read, write, and access journaled Mac OS Extended amount on computers that have no function of logging. Most disk utilities intended to work with the file system Mac OS Extended can also be used when logging is enabled.