Thread: Windows Home Server vs OS X Server

Windows Home Server vs OS X Server

As more and more interested in OS X server and seeing that he suffers from some shortcomings compared to Windows servers I would like to know what is the difference in behavior of the network if the management is done by OS X Server or Windows Server with PC and Mac in the said network? I just want to know that what are the advantages to having a network managed by a server Mac OS X or Windows.?? Hope that someone will reply me fast.!!

Re: Windows Home Server vs OS X Server

The mail server on OSX lacks a lot of stuff (Ok this PC is not Windows server that handles this, but Microsoft Exchange, but since Apple has built a good mail server in OS X Server, so far as it is efficient and competitive, no?)..

Security policy (GPO) on Windows is much more advanced than OSX Server: you can set full guest Windows machines (at startup scripts, permission to certain resources and not others). A simple example: you log in using a Windows PC client!! The mailer is setting itself as the user login, awesome!!!
    Desktop * Athlon X2 4200 | 2048M RAM | 160G HD | 7600GT
    MacMini * G4 1.33GHz | 512M RAM | 40G HD | Radeon 9200
    Laptop * Sempron 2800 | 512M RAM | 60G HD
    PDA * Dell Axim x51 | 128M Internal | 256M SD Card

The people like the NAS is true it must be honest the reliability of a Nas is nothing critical, but .... SCALABILITY a home server with all functions that have scared him to add, the modularity in security, the possibilities for material development and software. For me, a NAS is a backup system - and still not outsourced - not a server. Why not talk on the site of the principle of safeguarding outsourced, at least for critical data. I would be advanced if I did steal my server with 6 hard drives, which backup disk. I shot the conjugate many for office documents in sync automatically and space Skydrive hotmail 25GB for photos. Some publishers like FSecure offer online spaces for an annual fee (most is unlimited).
    ASUS P5VD1-X
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 3.00GHz
    Maxtor 160GB
    Corsair 1.5GB PC3200 RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256mb
    Phillips DVD RW
    Magna 500W PSU
    XION II Steel Black Gaming Case

I think that the collaborative tools are not terrible either OSX (which has not struggled and cursed about the limitations of iCal Server?). Otherwise, yes you can add some add-on including messaging, see outright change mail server but we are no longer following Apple OS X Server there and frankly whether to get their hands dirty, and pray that everything works well.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Dr. V Guest

I think that the OSX Server OS is a good, stable and robust but it does not hit the same target Microsoft. Just like OSX Client who has captivated the public and snacks will now good market share in the world pro is perhaps Apple wants to do with OSX Server: type in small structures, to improve and then tackle the big structures? However, for file sharing, FTP and other services, OS X Server is very well the road even for big needs. Say we need to know what you want with your server OS (Apple or Windows) before you buy.

I agree with you on the fact that he must know what is going to serve you your server before you buy! now is what OSX is doing it right as a server, DHCP and DNS server for the Windows messaging section does the same, a light version of a mail server is installed but if you want something well and it holds the road to exchange that one must turn if we want to stay on the Microsoft, if Kerio, or alternative tasks other publishers, so mail server for the two platforms.

If file transfer, there is no point in having a network connection quicker than the max hard drive. The way VoIP does not consume anything on the Gbps. If all switch ports are copper Gbps, I do not see the point of passing fiber unless the switch is full (but I doubt that with so few accounts (2), this is possible). The maximum speed on a network transfer is always that of the slowest component. I do not have a flow of sick, or my question, is what it's worth it to do so because I have connections on the switch, knowing that I would like to pass HD video, of uncompressed music preference and voice over IP.