Thread: Mac Mini Server

Mac Mini Server

I have a development install for a client with over 20 workstations and I have no recent experience to be sure you make the right choices in terms of hardware-server. And recently I came to know that we can also create the Mac Mini Server.!! Now I am not having much idea about it, so I thought that you guys may help me in explaining about that. So, I just want to know that can I use the Mac Mini Server for the 20 workstations..?? Also please provide some more information about the Mini Server that is created on Mac.

Re: Mac Mini Server

I wonder what are the differences observed with an Xserve or at least a solution with OSX Server ... I can not see what could constitute grounds FileMaker would significantly faster on one or the other solution. So I think you can go without too much problem in that, of course, you set up a backup system and an inverter. Alternatively if, as I imagine, a budget problem, you turn to an XServe hand. It is located with an unlimited client OSX. It will always be more 'reliable' and 'pro'. But this is only my opinion.
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core @ ~2.2 GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 200 GB
    Video Card: RADEON X300/X550 Series

Re: What is Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server?

Many don;t know that how to use the Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server. As its name implies, this version has been specially designed to act as a server because it has Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server preinstalled. Instead of a SuperDrive, Mac Mini Snow Leopard Server includes two 500GB hard drives that offer all the power and storage capacity that your team needs to work more efficiently. Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server allows you to add an unlimited number of Mac and PC, with no per user licensing fees.
    ~HARE KRISHNA HARE RAM~

Hardware and networking software allow you to integrate advanced Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server to all types of environments Mac or PC. Moreover, it is compatible with a wide range of monitors, keyboards, mice and other peripherals. The former is nothing other than its size, with almost 80 inches deep and nearly 45 cm wide, he was first intended for computer cabinets. It is clear that few small businesses have it and very rarely with dimensions as large. The second problem, always linked to the first is its sound. With a module 7 fans, Xserve constantly produces a very loud purr. It is mandatory to install it in an entirely isolated to avoid the pain of migraine very quickly. These first two problems can be solved by purchasing a Mac Pro and a license Mac OS X Server.
    "Let us remember that our interest is in concord, not conflict, and that our real eminence rests in the victories of peace, not those of war." -McKinley

The last problem is the price of the Xserve. Apple had to find a real solution, which brings everyone to agree and restart the server market during this period of crisis. Do not forget, if we look at the latest analysis, sales of servers have been particularly affected by the deteriorating economic environment. On the other hand, sales of small Time Capsule are doing well, which is probably not unconnected with the desire to offer an intermediate product, especially for individuals and small businesses.
    ASUS P5VD1-X
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 3.00GHz
    Maxtor 160GB
    Corsair 1.5GB PC3200 RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256mb
    Phillips DVD RW
    Magna 500W PSU
    XION II Steel Black Gaming Case

It is clear that few small businesses have it and very rarely with dimensions as large. The second problem, always linked to the first is its sound. With a module 7 fans, Xserve constantly produces a very loud purr. It is mandatory to install it in an entirely isolated to avoid the pain of migraine very quickly. These first two problems can be solved by purchasing a Mac Pro and a license Mac OS X Server. But before the arrival of Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Server 10.5 is seen to sell nearly 70000 Rs, the budget was very high. It is obvious that it was also possible to purchase a Mac Mini and the license server, but with some constraints and, to our taste, not less.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I think that the solutions presented are extreme. The Mac mini is not intended for that use performance too small and the Xserve is like killing a fly with a gun especially if you stay to 20 workstations. For my part I have used a mac pro as a server with 2GB of RAM and two disk software raid (RAID1). It suits our needs. Regarding backups, I use an external drive with backup Daily Base made by tribackup. Today Apple has produced nice for wireless backups are especially with new bone which includes time machine. If I were doing this I will leave horizon.