Thread: Max memory on a Mac Nehalem

Max memory on a Mac Nehalem

Hello,
    I have a question regarding the addition of memory in a Mac Nehalem (quad core). I currently have 6 GB (3X2) I can add another 2 GB to go to 8. But, as I need lots of ram, I wonder if I can add a strip to go 4GB to 10GB. I asked at the dealers. I had several responses. Yes, it's possible, it depends on the serial Num, and another, no, they work in pairs. Then, at Apple, is not, 8 (4X2) it works, but for the perfect is better when it works by triple. I am confused, any more information will be great.

Re: Max memory on a Mac Nehalem

So for the Mac Pro, quad or octo-core, they all accept up to 32GB of RAM (4x8Go), the sole exception of the quad core "early 2009" (single-processor Mac Pro 4.1) which, curiously, can not exceed 16 GB (4x4Go). Furthermore, the bars do not work in pairs, it's DDR2 or 3 according to the model, many bars are 64 bits. The sole interest of matching barrettes, is to activate the "dual channel", a process that allows a marginal improvement in the performance of Mac (roughly between 1 and 3% depending on the type of task).

I will try to answer your second question. If you know the difference between a bar "no parity" and a barrette with parity, and if you know also recognize a bar without an ECC error correction, why not. Otherwise, you still "large areas of Mac" (Macway, ICLG ...) that they only sell Mac-compatible memory at prices generally lower than Apple's. I guess I am correct here.

So already there is one thing I discovered, I bought this machine in early this year, so I must be throttled to 16MB. I knew there were other variations ranging from 32MB up. (Apart from the opto-cores). Is identifiable by the NUM. Serial? But for my case, 16MB would be more than enough already. like I'm trying to make a compromise economic with what I have to increase the memory of my machine, I thought do the following:
    buy 2X4 GB + 2X2 GB that I already, what makes me 12GB, is double what I currently have. But I have (had) a doubt about this mix, if I understand correctly, it is feasible? Thank you.

No need to Serial, and no other versions "since" this is the only model to accept only 16 GB, all others, be it oc-core to the same generation, or older models accept 32 GB in eight bars, one recognizes that which is limited to 16 GB because he can not be set as 4 modules of RAM. With this setup, you activate the dual channel (unless you "plumes" strips, one 2, one 4, one 2, 4) by amounts between pairs Go to a 2x2 and a 2x4 GB.

That sounds like a lot (unlike the other Mac ... And also what I thought, the Mac Pro supports ECC), the only error on this page is that the mounting "pairs" is not required, it is necessary to activate the dual channel (as I mentioned above), moreover, your 6 GB (3x2 GB) are proof that it can work with barrettes "Single "without dual channel.

So, Apple (well, Mac) proposes to put in this case, the larger bars (4GB) on slots 1 and 2, and smaller (2GB in my case) in 3 and 4. Here, I have "hands on" just a bar of 2 GB unused for the moment, therefore, I spend twice 6GB or 12GB. Rather profitable transaction, I have time to see coming.