Thread: Process priority in Mac OS X

Process priority in Mac OS X

Hello,
    I am using mac OS X and I need a way to manage the running processes on my operating system. How can I manage the process in the system and also how can I set the process priority? In windows operating system I would do it by using the task manager, but in Mac what is the software called. Also, are there any commands which I can use for managing process. Thank you.

Re: Process priority in Mac OS X

Even i am a beginner to Mac OS X, In Mac OS X, there is a command (a program), which allows you to view in Terminal running processes that are running on your Mac. That is all running programs, without exception. Start by typing its name top and then press the enter key, you will see a long list of process running on your system. Though I am not sure how to manage the process from this , but it will definitely show all the process running, stopped and halted on your system.

Yes, I agree with above post.The control top can view different information on the use of the CPU (term for the processor) and memory.

- With the-u option, the items are ordered by cpu usage.
    - If we follow a number of top, then we will see that this number of processes
    - If you type just top, we have the terminal window to be filled.

Also you can see the PID of the process. What can interact with applications that are active, calling them in order by number of IDPs. To exit top, do control c. Please see the man (man top) for more information on the different ratings on the screen. It is interesting to run top in another window (shell) that in which we work, and to attributions a small font size, to watch over the process.

See, if this small piece of code can help you
    Code:
    function GetProcesses: integer;
    var
    i: integer; mib: array [0..2] of clt, len: clt; kp: pchr;

begin
        / / They say what you want to retrieve
        mib[0] : = CTL_KERN; mib[1] : = KERN_PROC; mib[2] : = KERN_PROC_ALL;
        / / mib [3]: = 0;
        len: = 0;
       / / first call "vacuum" gives the size of info available
        if (sysctl.FPsysctl(pchr(@ eb), 3, nil, @ len, NIL, 0) <> -1) Then begin   

if (len> 0) Then begin
                kp StrAlloc =(len);
                / / The second call retrieves the information available
                if (sysctl.FPsysctl(pchr(mib @), 3, kp, @ len, NIL, 0) <> -1) Then
    begin    

/ / kp Structure busy but how to find my children? 

end; strdispose(kp);
            end;
         end;
    end;

Hello,
    To avoid that process 'top' itself does not consume too much CPU, it may be interesting to increase the refresh rate (which is default one second) by adding the flag_seconds; is therefore to list studies of processes by cpu usage and refresh every 5 seconds: top-u-s. The ideal is, if you prefer this option as the default, define an alias for the top command. I hope this will help you.

Since switching to Mac OS X, there were some little things I always missed belong to it including a nice software package management a la apt (which it will give OSX ever because I'm fairly sure) or even small terminal Tools a la htop. Mac OS X brings top while the base model with the terminal in order to information about ongoing processes and thus to provide an overview compared to htop but this is not really powerful & user-friendly.

So if you have repetitive tasks and tedious to perform (eg rename and resize 5000 photos in a folder, send mass emails, create events in "iCal" etc ...) and many more do you break head start "Automator", give him the tasks ahead and go and relax!! "Automator" does it all and all work will be done without flinching. "Automator" works seamlessly with all applications on your Mac.