View Poll Results: Anyone else having this issue?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

0 0%
  • no

0 0%
  • isn't my issue

0 0%
  • somewhat

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Windows 7: (0x81000035) error for Invalid MediaID.bin on System Restore

Windows 7: (0x81000035) error for Invalid MediaID.bin on System Restore

Any chance anyone can help out with getting the (0x81000035) error for Invalid MediaID.bin on Windows 7 ?

I moved the backup sets to an external HD having the same issue as everyone else, the backups are taking up all the space on the system and don't want to delete them, so moved them to my External HD.

Every time I try to do a restore from the backup sets on my HD to get everything back, it gives me this error (0x81000035)

G:\ (this is my external drive)

Windows Backup encountered invalid MediaID.bin file on the drive where the backup is saved. Restore from a different backup or delete the MediaID.bin file and try to create another backup. The MediaID.bin file can be found under <backup location> \MediaID.Bin <backup location>\<machine-name-folder>\MediaId.Bin. (0x81000035)

I am searching everywhere online and basically only find solutions which I can't get to work that are for Vista not Windows 7

Here is what I've found regarding Microsoft:
    Since all Microsoft would like to do is charge through CSS regarding Windows 7 invalid or corrupt MediaID.bin issues. You gotta love that! So they have a solution, but don't want to make it available! See this under "Resolution":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940263

Here is what I've tried thus far...

I am trying to restore my full system, not just a few files on Windows 7.

I've tried following these instructions that I've found in a few locations in reference to Windows 7 that appear to originally be for Vista and I just get another error on the CMD as the Admin: (0x80070005)

[I]If you get the following error when restoring your backup to its original HD (see error code bellow)

Error Description:

When you use the Restore Files option to restore a backup file on a Windows Vista-based computer, you may receive the following error message:

The restore did not finish successfully. Error code:
    The backup file could not be found. Check your hardware configuration or restore from a different backup (0x8100001A).

and the Mediaid.bin file is corrupted or lost, then use the following instructions for rebuilding it:

1.Unzip the sdutil.zip file and rename it from sdutil.ex_ to sdutil.exe
    2.Copy the sdutil.exe to the root of the driver which contains the backup files
    3.Open the folder Catalogs located bellow the folder BackupSet “aaaammdd” “xxxxxx”
    4.Copy the file GlobalCatalog.wbcat to the root of this HD
    5.Go to Start -> Execute and type CMD.exe
    6.At this “DOS” window type: sdutil mediaid GlobalCatalog.wbcat [HD letter (as an example D:\)]
    7.A new MediaID.bin is created
    8.Try to restore the backup as usual using the advanced restore option and next the option restore an older backup created in this machine
    9.If done: it’s over!
    10.If it fails: Map a network driver at your LAN
    11.Copy the MediaId.bin file to the root of the previous mapped LAN driver
    12.Copy the whole folder BackupSet “aaaammdd” “xxxxxx” to this same driver
    13.Try to restore the backup as usual using the advanced restore option and next the option restore backup created in another machine
    14.At the next menu, point the backup folder at your LAN mapped driver and start the restore process
    15.Now you shall have your backup proper restored at the right machine
    16.Good Luck!

What I end up getting from the CMD as Admin is this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\System32> H:

H:\>sdutil mediaid GlobalCatalog.wbcat H:\
    == Generating MediaId.bin file ==

Loading global catalog information...OK
    Verifying media data...OK

Media information:
    Drive Letter: \\SUNNY-W7\Users\Restore\C\
    Unique identifier: \\?\UNC\SUNNY-W7\Users\
    Restore\C\
    Generating output file 'H:\Mediaid.bin'...

An error occured:
    Access is denied. (0x80070005)
    H:\>

thoughts or suggestions?

I need to recover the whole thing approx. 2G worth...

Thanks so much,

Sunny

Re: Windows 7: (0x81000035) error for Invalid MediaID.bin on System Restore

Someone from the microsoft website was able to rosolve this issue by following the method made by him, you can also try to do the same and check:

1. Go to the drive on which your backup is stored.
    2. There will be four files there: MediaID.bin, autorun.inf, restore.ico, and a folder with the "backup set" icon (for me its named the same as the machine name).
    3. Right-click that folder and click "Open" or "Open in new window".
    4. Go to the "Backup Set xxxx-xx-xx xxxxxx\Backup Files xxxx-xx-xx xxxxxx" subfolder (xxxx-xx-xx xxxxxx = date/time when the backup set was made).
    5. You should see one or more "Backup files x.zip" archives (x = number). These hold your files, and I guess the lowest numbered file has the oldest data.
    6. I restored only the files I wanted by searching through each of the zip files for important data and then copied the important files out of the zip. Didn't do a full restore but I think it will be very time-consuming.

Thank you EINSTEIN_007

Yes, I saw this too, and unfortunately I have almost 3G of data to be restored so that isn't the most productive way to do it.

I am really trying to find the solution to the mediaId.bin issue as if this file can be corrected, then it should work just fine, as stated by Microsoft themselves within their own error message.

Its just extremely unfortunate that you purchase and upgrade software with them, only to have to pay them more money to resolve an issue/error with their backup & restore on W7 as they already know this is a problem. Just tell you to contact them for pricing for assistance.

Anyone else have any solutions to this issue?

I would tremendously appreciate it

Thanks again,

Sunny

MediaID.bin is a file needed to restore Windows operating systems like Vista or Windows 7. In your case it seems that the said file is corrupted missing or is invalid. So, i can just suggest you to repeat the process again. And before that i more suggestion is to never use Windows backup coz i have seen this type of problem with many windows 7 user. There are many tools for windows backup and are really effective. Just go with them. For some more info about Windows backup, see this Microsoft article.

Hi Arzaan,

Unfortunately that doesn't resolve the issue that all the data I need I can't get restored, doing another back up of what is an original image file (I'm on Windows 7 not Vista) creates a mediaID but in copy and pasting over to the folder that I need to recover from (the backup set with all my data) gives me the exact same error message :

Windows Backup encountered invalid MediaID.bin file on the drive where the backup is saved. Restore from a different backup or delete the MediaID.bin file and try to create another backup. The MediaID.bin file can be found under <backup location> \MediaID.Bin <backup location>\<machine-name-folder>\MediaId.Bin. (0x81000035)

Anyone have any suggestions specific to dealing with the MediaID issue?

Trust me, I'm more than clear not to utilize the Windows 7 Backup from this point forward, but need to restore to get my data back.

Thanks,

Sunny

Its now really a huge problem mate. If that dint worked than i dont have any more idea to fix this. But anyways, lets try little more.. First go to the properties of your external drive by Right clicking on it and click on the tools tab. check here for any errors. Also disable your UAC and antivirus. Now try to run the backup. Before doing all this things Be sure that you are logged in as Admin user.