Thread: 4GB of RAM and still freezing

4GB of RAM and still freezing

The desktop computer which I am using is installed with Windows XP service pack 3. The system was freezing frequently and hence I upgraded the system memory to 4Gb but still system is freezing frequently. Can anybody here explain me why my system is freezing and how do I solve the problem? Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: 4GB of RAM and still freezing

Mostly the reason behind the system freezing constantly is the operating system failure. If the files associated to the operating system are not working properly, the operating system will fail frequently. Insert the Windows installation disk and boot the system from the disk. Select the option which says "Repair the current installation of Windows on the system" and let the procedure complete. After repairing the operating system check if the system freezes frequently or not.

There must be lot of application running on the computer at the same time due to which the system must be freezing. Whenever any application is executed on the computer, some memory and CPU usage is allocated on the computer. Hence if lot of applications are executed on the computer, lot of memory and CPU is allocated. If the system memory gets depleted, the system will freeze. Hence open the task manager and go to processes tab. Close all the processes which are unwanted and taking up lot of memory space. After terminating all the processes which are unwanted, check the performance of the system.

The problem which you are facing can be due to the faulty RAM chips. If the system is not able to access the RAM chips, it will freeze frequently. Open the computer and remove the RAM chips from there respective slots. Clean the connecting terminals. Replace the Ram back in its slots and see if the system is working properly or not. You can also check the systems performance by using single RAM chip at a time. If for a particular RAM chip, the system does not boot then discard the RAM chip as it may be faulty.

Motherboard is an important peripheral of the computer. If the motherboard of the computer is faulty, then random freezing of the system will be observed. It is better that you get the motherboard checked by some expert and see if there is any fault in it. If the motherboard is found to be faulty, get it replaced. After replacing the motherboard, see if the problem is solved or not.

The power supply which you are using is must not be able to provide enough power to all the devices which are connected to the computer and hence the system is freezing. Check the power wattage of the power supply unit of the computer and replace it if the wattage is not enough for the computer to work.

The power supply of the computer was not able to provide enough voltage to all the devices which were connected to the computer and hence the system was freezing. I changed the power supply unit with some higher wattage value power supply and now the system is working properly. Thanks for the suggestion.