Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Pls help, problem while formatting

Operating Systems

Old 15-05-2010

question Pls help, problem while formatting

Hi,
I have an AMD sempron 2600+ running on MSI VIA K8M800-CE mobo. Initially I had both dvd-rom and HDD with IDE connections. A few months back I had to change DVD-rom and I bought a new sony dvd+/_R 24X SATA drive. Both Dvd drive and hdd were working fine (IDE HDD AND SATA DVD drive). I have 2 XP prof sp2 operating systems in C and F drives. I am using F drive for internet purpose. Recently my avast anti-virus started giving alerts of virus detection. After trying with different anti-virus software I thought of formatting the F drive. I took a backup of all the content, set BIOS first boot to CDROM and inserted xp PROF SP2 CD. It took a long time (about 5 minutes) for it to say 'Windows is starting' and then I got this blue screen. stop: 0x0000007b (0xf79ba524, oxc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Then I have logged into F drive first and then started xp cd this time when it asked for new installation or repair or exit, I have choosen new installation. After a reboot, during formatting process, it has given this error:

Setup cannot find a CD-ROM drive.
Make sure your CD-ROM is on and properly connected. If it is a SCSI cD-ROM drive, make sure your SCSI devices are properly teminated. See your computer or SCSI adapter documentation for more information. I want to format F drive. What should I do now?
- AMD sempron 2600+
- MSI model ms-7142
- 2x512 ram ddr
- 160 gb seagate hdd

- cpu-z shows that ram is ok
- BIOS boot sequence is cd-rom, hdd, floppy,
- In DVD drive Properties - Hardware tab, Device properties is showing "Device status: This device is working properly".
- I have installed SATA DRIVER G72-VASA052, which was given along with mobo, on both C drive and F drive.

Is it ok to use IDE hdd ALONG WITH SATA DVD DRIVE?
I don't have any technical knowledge on Hardware so please tell me, what I should be doing now, in simple words. Thanks in advance.

Old 16-05-2010

Re: Pls help, problem while formatting

Check that your CDROM drive is powered on and connected to your computer. If it is a SCSI cdrom drive, check that your SCSI ring road are correctly completed. Check the documentation for your computer or your SCSI card for more information. This problem can occur if you have multiple CD-ROM installed on your computer, using real-mode drivers and the other using the protected-mode drivers, and you run the program Windows installation using the CD-ROM in real mode. Setup detects the drivers CD-ROM in real mode and disables.

For more info check this Microsoft link.
Old 16-05-2010

Installation troubleshooting for a SCSI CD or DVD drive
In addition to the CD or the DVD drive part number, you have to determine whether the SCSI controller is listed on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List. To do this, follow these steps:
1. To view the latest Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Default.aspx?m=x

2. In the Devices left navigation pane, point to Storage, and then click Adapters & Controllers.

3. Select the manufacturer of your SCSI controller from the Company drop-down list, and then click GO.

4. Locate your SCSI controller from the product list.

More information here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314096
Old 16-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalbaiz View Post
Check that your CDROM drive is powered on and connected to your computer. If it is a SCSI cdrom drive, check that your SCSI ring road are correctly completed. Check the documentation for your computer or your SCSI card for more information. This problem can occur if you have multiple CD-ROM installed on your computer, using real-mode drivers and the other using the protected-mode drivers, and you run the program Windows installation using the CD-ROM in real mode. Setup detects the drivers CD-ROM in real mode and disables.

For more info check this Microsoft link.
Thank you for the reply. I will be glad if you can go through this device manager screen shot. .

Yes, it is SCSI drive. I am not using 2 cd-roms. The old IDE cd-rom has been removed before putting this new SATA cd-rom drive. Device manager shows VIA Bus master controller under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Should I uninstall any IDE drivers? My HDD is IDE. Is this going to effect HDD performance?
Old 16-05-2010

unsure Re: Pls help, problem while formatting

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
Installation troubleshooting for a SCSI CD or DVD drive
In addition to the CD or the DVD drive part number, you have to determine whether the SCSI controller is listed on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List. To do this, follow these steps:
1. To view the latest Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Default.aspx?m=x

2. In the Devices left navigation pane, point to Storage, and then click Adapters & Controllers.

3. Select the manufacturer of your SCSI controller from the Company drop-down list, and then click GO.

4. Locate your SCSI controller from the product list.

More information here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314096
Thanks for the support. Please go through the screen shot in the post above. I have gone through the list for VIA in the link you have sent me. But I could not figure out if the SCSI controller I am using is compatible with XP sp2 or not. I don't think MSI will give any driver which is not compatible with XP, because in 2004 when I bought this PC XP was widely in use across the world. Can you please tell me what I should be doing now? How can I know if the SCSI controller I am using is in this list or not? http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pro...id=1003&sv=via

Do you know any free online virus cleaning website?

Thanks once again.
Old 16-05-2010

I have been suggested on another forum to try another IDE cd-rom or to get SATA drivers for XP from the internet. What do you guys think?

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , ,