Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Ubuntu 9.10 - failing hard disk bad sectors error

Operating Systems

Old 14-05-2010

Ubuntu 9.10 - failing hard disk bad sectors error

I am facing a little strange problem recently I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 and it is displaying the message that my hard disk is failing and there are bad sectors present on it. Is there any software present to remove the bad sector or any other method to solve this problem of bad sector? I would really appreciate your help.

Old 14-05-2010

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 - failing hard disk bad sectors error

There is no need to use windows for checking a disk for the badblocks. Linux has inbuilt utility that is called ?badblocks? and there are many file system tools like fsck.

If you have a lot of time then you can run fsck on the disk, the only bad thing about it that it will take whole day to complete. For doing this disk must be unmounted. Hence the best way is to do it from Ubuntu LiveCD and then open the terminal and then type:

Code:
sudo fsck -pcfv /dev/sda
here "sda" = the disk in question.

This command will automatically start bad block checking and it will mark all the know bad sectors. So that will not be able to interfere in future. After you reboot the system then make sure that smartmontools is installed on your system.

Code:
sudo apt-get install smartmontools
One more thing you need to make sure that the "SMART? capability is enabled in your BIOS settings. After doing this you have to run an offline test and for doing that you have to type the following command.

Code:
sudo smartctl --test=long /dev/sda
Old 14-05-2010

If your data is extremely important then I will suggest you to go for SpinRite. It is used to obtain direct, low level access to a system’s mass storage drives. SpinRite runs under MS-DOS compatible operating system. The open source FreeDOS operating system has been incorporated into SpinRite and it will automatically booted from any of the boot diskette, compact disc, or any other bootable media that is configured according to the requirement.
Old 14-05-2010

SpinRite is a excellent program, but the bad thing about it that, once a hard drive starts failing in this way, there is no going back for it. What SpinRite can do is get the drive which have a long life so that user can able to save the data from the failing hard drive. But if the drive starts reallocating sectors, then the game is over. If you have any other better solutions then please reply.
Old 14-05-2010

People are just providing a big list of solution for this problem of the without thinking that there might be a problem with this Ubuntu 9.10. I was also thinking that there is a problem with my hard disk but then I uninstalled this Ubuntu 9.10 and again installed Ubuntu 9.04 and everything is working fine now. This Ubuntu 9.10 is having any bug that needs to be fixed.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,