Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 and CUDA

Ubuntu 10.04 and CUDA

Hello,

Any have done this before. I wanted to install CUDA driver on Linux ubuntu but I have no idea how to do it, I am feeling so much difficulties to implement it. Is there someone who installed CUDA on Ubuntu 10.04? Then please let me know, how to do it ??????

Thanks, for any suggestions

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 and CUDA

if you haven't done it before any of the Linux based computer then it would be little bit difficult to install it because it is much different from your windows based driver installation. You have to take the help of command line argument in Ubuntu and then you can proceed for installation. As well as, yeah, you need to use gcc4.3 for compiling the SDK. The demonstrations are running just better...

Quote Originally Posted by Devasis View Post
    As well as, yeah, you need to use gcc4.3 for compiling the SDK. The demonstrations are running just better...
    I know, I have to take the help of command line argument for completing the installation of CUBA driver on ubunut..But one thing, I need to ask you is that - Do you managed to have gcc 4.3 and 4.4 side by side? Any more explanation on this !!

Ubuntu 10.04 and CUDA

yeah, you need to just run the following statement as follows -

sudo apt-get install gcc-4.3 g++-4.3

If you desired to configure it simply then you can use update-alternatives:

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.3 40 --slave /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-4.3
    sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.4 60 --slave /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-4.4
    Now, if you need to change between gcc versions, easily execute the following command with the specific parameters :

sudo update-alternatives --config gcc

Have you used the CUDA 2.3 driver before ? I just tried the 3.0 driver on Ubuntu 10.04 and unable to build the nvidia.ko kernel module. The error message indicating some description as follows:

"ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This is going on most quickly when this kernel module was made against the incorrect or the kernel sources that is configured in a improper manner, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver like rivafb/nvidiafb is present and restrict the NVIDIA kernel module from getting ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or NVIDIA GPU installed in this machine is not compatible with this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release."

I am compiling with the default GCC, 4.4.3, that I feel is the similar one used to build the Linux kernel. The GCC 4.3 workaround for the SDK should not apply to compiling the driver, should it? Some other descriptions above can be ruled out: the /var/log/nvidia-installer.log displays it checked for rivafb and nvidiafb and didn't get failed at that moment, so I don't think those were available at that time; and the GPU present is a GeForce 8800, that should be compatible with the latest driver release. I will try using the 2.3 driver and will try also if it comes to work.

I am working with 195.36.24 driver which is running very perfect. Getting it to work was the complex section 'cause the installation method differs from the old released versions.This is what I performed to install the binary drivers from nvidia's official website.

1) Just be sure that you have downloaded the proper driver from nvidia's site.
    2) And Just uninstall existing nvidia packagesif you made enabled nvidia in system->administration->hardware drivers, then just made disable them primarily and possibly restart the system)

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*

3) Make the file in following location - "/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf" with the following matters

blacklist vga16fb
    blacklist nouveau
    blacklist lbm-nouveau
    blacklist nvidia-173
    blacklist nvidia-96
    blacklist nvidia-current
    blacklist nvidiafb

4) Make or adjust the /etx/X11/xorg.conf file with these settings :

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

5) Restart the Machine now..
    6) it will suggest you that it gets failed to start X ( low graphics mode ) ,then select a text based console login (if it it not coming to start in X, just press ctrl-F1, log yourself in and call "sudo service gdm stop"

7) Launch the nvidia installer and when it pops up to run nvidia-x-config, then command it as yes

8) start X: sudo service gdm start

OK, I am getting what you are saying and primarily it was looking very inconvenient and when I tried to install it then goes much success!But one thing, I want to share with you also that I hadn't heard of making an "nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf" blacklist file before, but when I tried with your suggestion then it worked for me . I used the CUDA 3.0 drivers. Thanks you so much for such a wonderful suggestion !!!!

Thank you for the instruction, it worked for me too:

Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit AMD, Nvidia 9600GT, and my NVIDIA driver is 256.53 (Oct 2010)

10.10 is very good
    Last edited by Vigil.M; 12-10-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: No external Links allowed