Thread: Change Program Files location in vista?

Change Program Files location in vista?

I am having two hard drives, I have installed windows vista on one hard drive and on the other one I need to install my programs on to or speed. The thing I need to know is that how to edit the environment variable for pointing to another location. For example if I need D drive for my program files?
    I just do not want to use Program files on the C: drive. In short I want to know how to change the location of program file.

Re: Change Program Files location in vista?

Are you sure that you just want to change the location of directory every you install any program, then it will ask where to install it.
    I do not know whether it is possible or not, for saving the space of my C: I normally install the programs manually and specify the location of each and every software or utility I need to install on my computer system. This method is working for me I will suggest you to do the same.

Using the programs like “nlite” user can customize the windows installation CD and then user can change default location of all the programs you are installing, but if you need to change the default location of the programs which you have already installed, then you have to use the utility which is called "tune up". I hope this will help you.

If you want to change the default location of programs then you can follow these simple steps.

1. First of all copy the “'Program Files(x86)” folder to another drive. For example D: , E: or other location where you want to move the programs.
    2. After that restart your computer system and press F8 at the time of restarting then enter the boot menu and then choose the “safe mode with commandpromtp”
    3. After that enter the following code.

Code:
    takeown /f "C:\Program Files(x86)" /r
    cacls "C:\Program Files(x86)" /G username:F /T

(substitute 'username' for your windows logon name)

del "C:\Program Files(x86)" /F /S /Q
    rmdir "C:\Program Files(x86)" /S /Q

mklink /E "C:\Program Files(x86)" "E:\Program Files(x86)"

shutdown /R
    After finishing this system will use the program file folder that is on the E: or the drive you are going to set.

Method which is mentioned in the above reply is perfectly working but you need to be very careful while using that because the method which is described here is seriously messing with you operating system file. Just make sure that you are having backup of the important files before using this method. I have used it worked for me, but I cannot say confidently the it will definitely going to work for you.

pcs365_12 Guest

question Re: Change Program Files location in vista?

It's better to use some hard drive utilities rather than tweaking the mbr and system files manually.

This is still an issue in upcoming age of window 7. The ProgramData setting can be set in an neglected answer file, but according to some people that can only change the part of the \Program Files\ directory, mainly the real “ProgramData” part, where most of the software being installed is still landing in the same Program file folder. I want to ask one more that pulling a “replace all” \Program Files\ string in regedit is good solution or not. I mean is it safe or not.

jedc53 Guest

The program files are a part of the OS.A different partition for your personal data is a good idea if you plan on having a lot of data.You will not be able change or move the locations for the programs included in Vista.Pretty sure you will just have to change the directory every time you install a program, it should ask where you want to install it.I also wondered if there was a way to change the directory for all programs you are installing, but I never found anything.

The only thing you need is to change the keys in the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion” for seeing the change, that can be put in the .reg file for running. I will suggest you to also do a mklink /J in place of /D because it is more stable.

This also works with the users, ProgramData and the Program Files (x86) folder for the 64 bit machines. You also need to change values in “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ ProfileList” if you are doing any of that.

Hope this help you a little.

pcs365_12 Guest

Hi,
    Is your issue resolved? if Yes, please do let us know on the forum page.

Thanks