Thread: Atom D510 Server does not work on Ubuntu

Atom D510 Server does not work on Ubuntu

I have recently bought Intel BOXD510MO Intel Atom D510 for building a personal file server. But I am facing major problems; whenever I am trying to load or boot or whatever I tried to do nothing happens. I have tried various methods but the result is same. I have also upgraded to 9.10 but nothing happened but just a black screen after the installation. I want to know why Atom D510 Server is not working on Ubuntu.

Re: Atom D510 Server does not work on Ubuntu

I am also facing the similar problem, I have also tried ubuntu 8.04 LTS server. Now I am thinking of trying Ubntu 10.04 alpha, and hopping that it will work. I think there is a need of new kernel for supporting D510. Let’s see what will happen after doing these changes. If anything works I will let you know.

Ubuntu is not having support for the "Poulsbo" graphics chipset, for some reasons that are actually being worked on. I will suggest you to try different distribution, such as Fedora. I think that the "blank screen" is your problem. Basically I am not clear what is the exact problem you are facing, if possible please provide a clear information about your problem, I mean what you trying to achieve.

Yes, according to me it will be a better idea to go for a different distribution for the time being. Just make sure that you are not running a 64-bit version of Ubuntu if you are having 32 bit processor. I mean if your processor supports 32 bit operating system do not go for 64-bit version. I am using Fedora and I am not facing any problem like that.

As far as I know Atom D510 does not work at all with the Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04, since there is no integrated support for the GPU. I hope to build a low power atom based 'nettop' and run ubuntu on it, but the problem is that there is no support for that so I have think about it again. Basically I do not want to use Window 7.

I do not know whether it is going to help or not but I am using Xubuntu 9.10 on the BOXD510MO motherboard with a D510 CPU. I was facing some problem getting video going but it worked for me. I have upgraded to final release 10.4 and it all stopped. I discovered that I was rebooting with no monitor attached and Xubuntu errors, reattach the monitor and a small window and seen that allows the restart of Xserver, this works and I got normal resolution and everything is fine.

Currently I am running Ubuntu 10.04 on my Gigabyte GA-D510UD that is with an Atom D510 with Intel chipset without any problems except that Nautilus used hundred percent of the CPU. That can be easily fixed by uninstalling it and then changed it with Thunar. Hence the rumors about the Ubuntu is not compatible on an Atom D510.

@Liliana:
    Currently I am running Ubuntu 10.04 on my Gigabyte GA-D510UD that is with an Atom D510 with Intel chipset without any problems
    Are you getting graphics acceleration? I'm looking at a machine which may or may not be using that exact mobo, but is definitely using the same processor (Atom D510) and chipset (Intel NM 10) that Gigabyte say that mobo uses.

Did you have to hassle with it? Or was it auto-detected?

If the latest 10.04 auto-detects and properly runs that chipset, sweet!

Cheers,

-- T.J.