Thread: Hard drive made into a dynamic disk!

sad Hard drive made into a dynamic disk!

hi,
    My 500gb harddisk had 4 partitions-
    C:= 35gb (windows vista x64 was installed here)
    and 3 other for storage..
    I wanted to install Windows 7 for I took some space from one of the logical partitions to create a new partition that I wanted to merge with C...making C around 60gb in size.. however Paragon after creating this new unallocated space, wont format it..It wasnt even showing up in my computer..
    so I used windows drive management tool to format it which warned me about not having 5 partitions so it will be made as dynamic partition..I clicked ok and after I restarted..

Windows Vista unable to boot..Error 17 msg and then for some strange reason Im taken to GRUB..
    I have never installed any Linux or infact any other OS on this sytem so I dont know where this is coming from.

I tried to Fix mbr...bcdboot command with all options...it detects that c: has windows but when i restart again same problem..using Paragon Recovery CD i tried fixing boot option..nothing.. Also it shows that all partitions have same ID 0x42..dynamic

Now I also read here that dynamic partitions cant be made into simple partition without formatting it first.. My external doesnt have enough space to back up all drives at once..so is it possible to first make image of C:..format that..install vista..and restore data..then make image of D:..format that..and restore it..like that?

Please help me out here... if i have to format i might as well update to 7 as well..

Thanks a lot

Re: Hard drive made into a dynamic disk!

I think that unfortunately the only way to go is reformat the harddisk and reinstall everything from scratch as a Dynamic Disk can not be converted back to a Basic Disk and if the harddisk can be seen in the BIOS all you have to do is download Delpart, by searching it from google. For more information you can look for some suggestions given in below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323442/

Re: Hard drive made into a dynamic disk!

hey thanks for the reply.. i heard that there are some softwares like easues recovery tool that lets you do that without formatting..but yea seems like gonna format this after backing up the data..