Thread: Best HTPC Operating System

Best HTPC Operating System

Hi everybody,

I enjoy a few days the newly formed HTPC, restless again, and thinking about tossing systems of different feelings. I want to know about actual use of several operating systems. I selected the three operating systems: Windows Vista, Windows XP, and more recently fire Ubuntu 7.10. Who, then, is more suitable for HTPC system? Please suggest.

Dr. V Guest

Vista has integrated MCE (Media Center Edition, Media Center), without prior installation, save a lot of trouble. We can find it from the Start menu. With the XP version of MCE features and content not much different. HTPC MCE is the core software: we can use MCE remote control to open your favorite music, watch the latest download of a large or to watch a soccer match CCTV-5 (this feature must have TV card support), these features achieved without the need to understand too much computer knowledge, even grandparents can easily get started, this is the charm of MCE, HTPC's charm, arbitrary. The MCE integration in Vista, it is obvious that Microsoft's "system of hegemony living room" ambitions.

I think XP on the hardware support is very good, some ordinary device drivers can be easily identified. But my 2600PRO internal integrated digital sound card can not recognize the need to install the driver to work properly. Now it seems XP for hardware not ask for much: 128MB of memory can barely run the system. But really want XP to run smoothly together or need 512MB of memory, 1GB of system can perfect the software to run large-scale games. XP can be said to belong to the primary entry HTPC is more suitable operating system.

Ubuntu is a free, open source operating system, is a Linux operating system release. Speaking of Linux, I am sure you first reaction is: compatibility is poor, unfriendly interface, software, games less. However, Ubuntu's emergence has changed that. Ubuntu is an African word, a national pride in South Africa, focusing on loyalty and connections between people. The term comes from the Zulu and Xhosa. It means "humanity towards others" or "group in, therefore I am." Ubuntu release will bring the spirit of Ubuntu software world. DELL has introduced the PC, installed Ubuntu and notebook computers, see Ubuntu's influence, it is the current hottest Linux is not excessive. Ubuntu everything open source, free of charge. so You can also use Ubuntu.

You can also use WINE that is a simulation of Windows api, lets Windows software run on Linux, in other words, a Windows emulator. We can use it to run Windows following certain procedures, on-line download is completed, open the "program - accessories - terminal", enter the command to install it. WINE bottles and later to the next IEs 4Linux, bottles and later you can browse the Web using IE, and online banking problems can be resolved. Other Windows software can be installed, including games, some even have successfully simulated the WOW, the world's popular 3D online games. With the WINE emulator like there: Vmware, Parralles, Virturalbox etc. can all be used to try are interested.

HTPC do not have much knowledge that it is a computer connected to the TV mainly to watch DVD or HD video. So the system used in the normal course Jiugen use vista xp computer to use as a matter of personal preference. Assembled Taiwan HTPC graphics card must be noted that because it has been possible to have HTMI 1080p HD Video Playback or assembly is not much significance HTPC need more than 2G of memory for watching HD movies will use up a lot of memory allocation.