Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010

Bt4 final and ubuntu 9.10 dual boot problems

Hey friends, i am in need of some urgent help from you all guys. I don't know whats went wrong while dual booting Bt4 final and ubuntu 9.10. I just tried to install BackTrack 4 on a laptop already having Ubuntu 9.10 on /dev/sda2 . Now when am trying to boot any of the OS, it gives me grub error 15. Really stressed with this. Could anyone of you help me out of this ?? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2010

Re: Bt4 final and ubuntu 9.10 dual boot problems

Even me not familiar much with this error but I think you just have to configure grub to go coz it allows different operating systems, and different versions of them in the same hard disk. To change the timeout, the default operating system, the name of the operating systems and boot all the information each of them (like they did before in / boot / grub / menu.lst) it can be done by / boot / grub / grub.cfg do not recommend doing it this way, as this file is a file created automatically by the system using other files that are to be modified to change settings GRUB2. The grub file. cfg also is generated by typing in terminal:
Code:
  sudo update-grub2
Old 08-05-2010

So use a linux boot loader, which detects the operating systems that installs and puts you on the list, but do not leave them as you want, but bein put boot the linux you just installed, that although this ugly, not This much like the windows that simply erases the boot to any other operating system. However in the case of BT3, you can install with the graphical installer (which is certainly a name but I forgot) without installing grub then edit the grub of ubuntu to the hand.
Old 08-05-2010

The errors in the GRUB changes can lead to problems with the boot. Therefore it is recommended to make a backup of the menu.lst file before making any changes. Edit the grub configuration file, / boot / grub / menu.lst. It opens a console window where you need to type sudo gedit / boot / grub / menu.lst on the line. Its sets default 0 and is the one that indicates which starts by default. 0 is the first option (from top to bottom), 1 second, 2 the 3rd, etc the operating system to boot timeout 10 And the time in seconds to wait before starting the system by default.
Old 08-05-2010

Change the timeout and default operating system:
These parameters are modified in the file / etc / default / grub:
Quote:
$ Sudo gedit / etc / default / grub
Section:
Quote:
GRUB_DEFAULT = 0
Default operating system, 0 is the first, 1 the second etc..
Quote:
GRUB_TIMEOUT = "10"
Timeout in seconds after modifying the file, we must update grub.cfg with the command:
Quote:
sudo update-grub2

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,