Thread: BT4 live DVD would not start

BT4 live DVD would not start

When I tried to start my laptop, normally I choose to start it from the DVD after I can see that the boot menu that gives the option of atsrt BT4 framebuffer 1024x900 and something similar to that. The Backtrack 4 load till the point where I can type in "startx"
    But when I type startx it tries to start but gives the error message something like “BufferI/O error on device sr0 logical block 363019”. In short why BT4 live DVD is not starting.
    One thing to notice in that, the last two numbers is different every time. I keep repeating this error message till the kernel panic. The thing I want to know why BT4 live DVD would not start.

Re: BT4 live DVD would not start

I think you should try to start Ubuntu 9.4 DVD. It will not start in graphical mode but memtest will work fine also try to install the Backtrack 4 on the external hard drive and then try to use it on your laptop and do not forget to try "apt-get update etc."
    It will better if you can provide your system configuration it will help us to provide you a better solution.

Well, I am now using 32-bit version of Windows 7 I have installed BackTrack 4 on an external drive on another computer. I have started using laptop to USB HDD. BackTrack 4 starts well but after startx it says no screen found. I tried apt-get update and upgrade. When I use a dist-upgrade there comes an error, but can not remember the error code, etc.

I see where it makes no difference as far as 32bit and 64 bit systems are concerned. I recently installed BackTrack 4 to an AMD Turion X2 64 bit machine in a dual boot Win7/BT4f arrangement and it runs fine.

1. verify the md5 sums
    2. burn at a slower speed
    3. use different media
    4. Ensure you are burning DAO and not TAO, etc.

And again, if none of this works, then the message output would be helpful.

MD5 is correct, and I installed it on an external hard drive (using another computer). It works until I had type in startx. It says that no screen found. Now I'm burning a disc again.
    Once we have done everything posted over the boot disk from BT. The parameters set in the BIOS for the drive to be first. This way you will not have any problems. Once you're inside a BT type "startx" to load the GUI. Then install the allocation of space but if you want to run.

If you want to find out that you iso is corrupted or not by md5 checking then you can do it by downloading the hashcalc software from its official site. It is a fast and easy-to-use calculator that allows computing message digests checksums and HMACs for files, as well as for text and hex strings. It offers a choice of 13 of the most popular hash and checksum algorithms for calculations.

I will suggest you a good alternative that currently I am using that is called HashTab. I can easily integrate in to windows shell and adds a new “File Hashes” tab to each file’s HashTab property.

This software gives the user an ability to hashes that will generate, and it has supports Adler32, CRC32, HAVAL, MD2, MD4, MD5, RIPEMD-128, RIPEMD-256, RIPEMD-320, SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512, Tiger, and Whirlpool hashing. It is really simple and it nearly takes 10 seconds for generating all the hashes for the BackTrack ISO.
    Direct download link Hash Tab.