Thread: Backtrack 4 on sun Virtual box Vista host usb adapter fail

Backtrack 4 on sun Virtual box Vista host usb adapter fail

I have installed the Backtrack 4 in Virtual box but every time I try to enable my USB adapter WUSBS4GC I received the error message that failed to attach the USB device,
    qoutes
    Cisco-linksys compact wireless-g USB adapter [0001] to the virtual machine Backtrack
    I do not know why I am getting this error but I need to know why Backtrack 4 on sun Virtual box Vista host USB adapter fail
    Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Backtrack 4 on sun Virtual box Vista host usb adapter fail

Can you give a detail information about the host operating system you are using I mean something like Widows or OSX etc.
    I think you may be having the issue that the host is able to use the adapter but the guest virtual box can not take control of it.
    According to me you should try for a different adapter. I hope this will solve your problem.

Thanks for the reply but now I am facing a new problem. I found the BackTrack system driver for my card, which is higher than the patched version, should I, still install the patch version of the driver.
    I spent several hours trawling the web but got a very little success. Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
    I am ready to look around for answers just an indicator in the right direction would be great.

USB device is another matter, because they usually can be accessed directly. From what you have said it sounds like you are using an internal wireless card to secure the connection (which is how you can connect to the outside world through your host OS) and you want to back off a USB card. I'm not too familiar with VirtualBox, VMWare but you make sure the USB device is connected to the virtual environment to host computers.

Most virtualization technologies allow a guest OS to connect to the network by creating a device eth0, if you look at the manufacturer or the drivers for the device, you can say that it is the VM technology provider.
    Regarding the replacement drivers, I would not. You will lose the injection repair skills, if you have a new patch. Generally, the main sticking with BackTrack is the safest, because it is most likely to work with all the features of other components.

I am sure eth0 is your virtual machines virtual ethernet adapter. I have not used VirtualBox, but you can completely remove the VMWare virtual network adapter. Try it and see what happens. But, you have to set the virtual machine to take full control of USB adapter; do not let the host computer to use it at all. I hope this will help you.

USB adapter uses a host OS, where you installed the virtual box, and a guest operating system (in your case, back track) is using NAT usually as an adapter, which appears in the guest operating system is eth0 (no wireless extension), you can use your USB adapter directly from the track back if you change the setup a virtual windows de-connect the USB adapter from the host and to use it directly from the guest (and to use this feature in VMware, I used virtual box in the past, and I do not remember if it has this feature or not)