Thread: Backtrack 4 Final with VMWare Workstation 6.5.3

Backtrack 4 Final with VMWare Workstation 6.5.3

Currently I am using Backtrack 4 Final along with VMWare Workstation 6.5.3. I have installed it all the kernel source and the headers and also run the install script, however, it still really seems to be lagging. Normally it takes 10 seconds for loading up the terminal settings. Any ideas?
    I have devoted 1024 Megabytes of RAM and also allocated to the processor cores for running it so that I can get rid of the problem with the hardware.
    I have never faced this problem when I was running Backtrack 3.

Re: Backtrack 4 Final with VMWare Workstation 6.5.3

I thing arts daemon is eating up your CPU resources in the VMWARE image from the official download. You must kill those processes.
    Use “top” at the command line for checking the process that are running and also note the PID. Then use #Kill -9 PID for terminating the process.

By chance did you happen to try and change any settings in the ALSA configuration or Sound input or output tab and check if artsd stopped eating your CPU resources?
    Killing <any_application_name> could be really difficult, if CPU usage is at the maximum, hence according to single line command will be much better, like kill -9 `pidof artsd`. Through this all instances of artsd will be killed out.

Using "one line commands" are generally the better approach especially when dealing with the aforementioned type of situation.

Also note that removing the arts daemon from startup will also remove this "problem" from future recurrences.

Using KDE menu I have deselected Settings or sound and Multimedia or sound settings that is under the General Tab. I have also chosen run with the highest that is under the hardware tab. I have also selected the Linux sound architecture.
    Through KDE Menu Settings/Sound & Multimedia/Sound Settings--> Under the General Tab I deselected Run with highest... and under the Hardware tab I have selected Advanced Linux Sound Architecture.

This is just a support because artsd still uses high CPU, but it will still allow working with a sufficient application response time.

This one solution for disabling the sound in the VM-Ware:
    Goto Kmenu then System then Settings then Sound and Multimedia then Sound System and then you have un-tick the “enable sound system”
    Another solution for disabling the sound in VM-Ware is
    Go to VM then Settings and then Remove Sound Card
    Now the artsd process will be OK at the next reboot.

I was searching for the working mirror of the BackTrack 4 Final Report VMWare image?
    It seems to me still reserve two links, one does not work at all and the other runs on such a slow speed.
    I have also tried for the torrent site but I am not getting the seeder for that and hence the download speed is very low.