Thread: Boot issue for Backtrack 4 via USB on Macbook

Boot issue for Backtrack 4 via USB on Macbook

Mac and Windows works fine, but the Linux boot to Windows 7 and if you know about Boot Camp, there is not a Windows BIOS, so I can not change the boat or target. Even if I leave in the Live CD and eject before rEFIt loads, the USB partition with BT4 BT4 labeled as told by the video tutorial will work with the generic Linux or OS Legacy of HD "appear, but also loads Windows 7 .

There is no problem with the live CD or DVD on the Mac. The only problem is with USB. In need help for Boot issue for Backtrack 4 via USB on Macbook
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated?

Re: Boot issue for Backtrack 4 via USB on Macbook

First, download VMWare, busybox, VirtualBox virtualization tool, or whatever you want and run it in BT. It removes many of the problems you can and probably will have with the MBP's. I know you have a working solution is usually here so we can ignore this for now.

Second, you rEFIt version is about 10 releases out of date I assume a typo, but just make sure.

And finally, take the equation from rEFIt, hold down the Option key at startup and see what shows are on. rEFIt is a great tool, but lately I've run into a few problems in more recent kit with her and I have NFI why.

I can not advice and stress as much as necessary that your best bet is to walk through a BT virtualization tool. I am going to guess that you need to crack that wireless will be detached from the equation it is hit and miss it on Apple hardware; obviously enough to get a legal Macbook, Snow Leopard upgrade - hardware or a recent-model - a copy of Windows 7 Pro, and beer you get through and get a USB wifi dongle to work.
    And, by the by Mac Linux sucks It really sucks for Windows as well, but that means that I must put an ACSA, both on client machines from time to time during deployments.

I used the "Choose" command at startup using the "C" key, the USB unfortunately not show as a boot option. What is me is how the USB is recognized as the HD on rEFIt is correctly recognized as the Live CD with the USB. Maybe how BT4 should be erected on the USB (from the instructions on the vid tutorial) can not be read by rEFIt since the last update was finished in March, and BT4 is newer?

If you suggest that one type of Virtualization works best, I'll take your word and use Parallels for the moment. I will still keep the USB FD when my laptop chargee on the Internet

This is actually the "CD" command (which now that I think good DVD). Press the Option key, as I told you next time you boot it up, it's a completely different interface. You can also check the Startup Disk system preference panel if your computer is booted with OSX and have the USB plugged in.

Virtualization is definitely the way to go for Apple hardware. It means the extra WiFi stick, but in your case just ignore me and use my notebook as a WiFi network pen-testing. VMware lets a backtrack use, and losing, some of the finer points of the host OS

Well I have tried both keys anyways and the only thing was just Windows and Macintosh HD that showed up. When I went to the boot disk in the preferences settings, all this shows is Macintosh HD (it does not show even Windows 7).
    So then VPC and a USB WiFi on my list of things to steal ... Thanks! At least I know how to make a temporary solution

For your information that means that the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) that is the MBR for the non-mac users out there does not recognize the USB as a valid partition map to boot off of. There could be a few reasons for that, but there's no point going into them.
    This is stepping WAY further than what BT4 must support, but you can try something similar to that :

Code:
    livecd-iso-to-disk --mactel --reset-mbr ~/Desktop/bt4-final.iso /dev/sdb1