Thread: BackTrack Live USB Install

BackTrack Live USB Install

Hi, i am a Windows Vista user since a long time but now due to some reason, i wanted to install BackTrack on one of my computer. As i dont know anything apart from Windows, i need your help to do the same. Please let me know the process about BackTrack Live USB Install.

Any help will be appreciated.

Re: BackTrack Live USB Install

This method of obtaining an installation on a USB drive, is the simplest available using UNetbootin. Note that we are going to format the USB device and delete its contents.
    • Connect your USB Drive (with a minimum capacity of 2 GB)
    • Format the USB drive to FAT32
    • Download UNetbootin from UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads
    • Start DiskImage and select UNetbootin (use ISO BackTrack-final)
    • Select the USB drive and click "OK" to create a USB boot drive BackTrack
    • Access BackTrack with the user and password of root / toor

Thats it. You are done.

In order to install BackTrack using the complete hard drive, follow these simple steps:
    • First of all boot your BackTrack on the system and type startx . This will take you to the KDE graphical interface.
    • Now go to the command prompt and type ubiquity. Or simply click on install.sh script on the desktop.
    • Now choose your Geographical location and Keyboard layout.
    • Now configure the partitioning layout on the next screen that appeared.
    • Accept the summary and client installation "Install." Allow the installation to run and complete. Restart When Done.
    • Now use your password and username to login to BackTrack. Once logged change the root password.

Thats it.. You can also fix the splash. To do so type Fix splash and restart the system.

hey mates, thanks for sharing this useful info. Infact i was also in search of this from long time. But here i need little more.

Could you guys please make me know how can i Install BackTrack in VMWare ? Please help me soon.

To install BackTrack in VMWare machine, first log into BackTrack. To install the VMWare drivers, the kernel source and headers Need to be in place. By default in the BackTrack 4 final release, the kernel (denoted by (version)) is configured and ready. However in Some cases, you might make sure you Need to Have the latest kernel sources by typing in:
    Code:
    apt-get update apt-get install linux-source cd /usr/src tar jxpf linux-source-{version}.tar.bz2 ln -s linux-source-{version} linux cd linux zcat /proc/config.gz > .config make scripts make prepare
    Now That your kernel sources and headers are in place, run the "Install VMWare tools" for the specific guest VM. Mount the VMware Tools virtual cd, copy over the VMWare tools package and run the installer:
    Code:
    mount /dev/cdrom3 /mnt/cdrom cp /mnt/cdrom/VMwareTools-{version}.tar.gz /tmp/ cd /tmp/ tar zxpf VMwareTools-{version}.tar.gz cd vmware-tools-distrib ./vmware-install.pl
    Complete the VMware Tools installation as required. Run fix-splash "to reintroduce the green framebuffer console. Reboot.

You can also save your configurations on the USB key. To avoid losing your settings, your facilities ... etc., just to the end of each session, type:
    Code:
    dir2lzm / mnt / live / memory / exchange changesX.lzm
    Earn while changesX.lzm file and copy it into ledossier / BT3/modules / from your USB key. At boot BT3 check this folder and restore your configs.