Thread: Booting Backtrack 4 from USB

Booting Backtrack 4 from USB

Recently i have installed the backtrack 4 operating system on my external Hard disk. But when i tried to logging in to the Backtrack 4 it won't allow me to login. Please tell me how to Boot Backtrack 4 from USB device. I think i am missing something. I can only see a command line interface is it possible to see any GUI in Backtrack.

Re: Booting Backtrack 4 from USB

You will have to make use of the UNetbootin bewcause it allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for a variety of Linux distributions from Windows or Linux, without requiring you to burn a CD. You can either let it download one of the many distributions supported out-of-the-box for you, or supply your own Linux .iso file if you've already downloaded one or your preferred distribution isn't on the list.

The method of installing Backtrack 4 from USB , The simplest way available is using UNetbootin. Note that we are going to format the USB device and delete its contents.

1. Connect your USB Drive (with a minimum capacity of 2 GB)
    2. Format the USB drive to FAT32
    3. Download UNetbootin from UNetbootin
    4. Start DiskImage and select UNetbootin (use ISO BackTrack-final)
    5. Select the USB drive and click "OK" to create a USB boot drive BackTrack
    6. Access BackTrack with the user and password of root / toor

First of all i would like to know what username and password which you used for logging in to your system. it appears as you have used a wrong login id as well as password and hence you are not able to login on your system. use the user name as root and the password as toor and check whether you can login or not.

Currently there are several Backtrack 4 distributions that supports to be installed on USB memory for use in vivo, which is known as a Live USB. But there are other distributions that have not been developed with the support required to be executed and the operating system boot from USB devices. Hope that this helps

Follow the installation procedure which is listed just below:

~ $ Aptitude install unetbootin

After the installation proceed to execute unetbootin from the command line as a normal user.

~ $ Unetbootin

Once inside the menu bootin , select DiskImage where we select the ISO image of our distro of Linux, in our case back track 4.
    A continuation BT4 ISO image, and where we will install the USB device.
    Then the image files will be copied to the USB boot device.
    Already in Figure 4, the installation is finished and we can restart our computer to back track 4 via USB.

It should work with with bacKtrack 4, although the USB installation method twhich is mentioned above can be used on other distributions such as Debian, CentOS, Fedora and RedHat, and Ubuntu does not mention this for several versions software including USB Startup Disk Creator. that the series back track is known as a penetration tool, excellent for wireless auditing.

What am I doing wrong. I have installed backtrack 4 onto usb using unetbootin. I use windows 7. Exactly where do I go from here. How do I boot it, how do I get to the command prompt. I thought it would open when I booted it but I am not sure how to exactly get that far. Help please

Did you installed the Backtrack ISO file into the USB? If you have properly installed then you have to boot from the USB. Just get into the BIOS and then to the Boot Menu and set USB as primary boot device. Save the setting and restart the system. Now you will be able to boot from the USB. Also remember that the default username and password for Backtrack 4 is root and toor respectively.