Thread: Win 7 upgrade hangs at 86%

Win 7 upgrade hangs at 86%

I am trying to upgrade a Vista Home Premium installation to Win 7 Ultimate, using a DVD bought at retail. Over and again, it hangs during the "Gathering files, settings and programs" procedure, always at the 86% complete point.

It is difficult to know whether the program has stopped or is merely resting, because a small progress animation is still running. But yesterday my most recent attempt ended at 6:00 PM, and I didn't revisit until 9:00 AM the following day. The animation was still running. No error code, no close down.

My computer has been approved for Win 7 by the Windows upgrade check. I have done everything that Windows suggested before upgrading -- backed up work, brought Vista up to date, turned off anti-virus and firewall. Following suggestions from various sources I tried closing down the start folder programs in Vista before running the upgrade: I also went further and closed down non-MS startup services for a clean boot. Neither made any difference. I also tried starting from Vista in safe mode, and booting from the DVD; the upgrade program would not run in either case.

I know from browsing the web that I am not the first person to run into this problem. I hope subscribers to your forum have had the same experience, and know how to work around it.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 530.

Re: Win 7 upgrade hangs at 86%

This is directly from the microsoft site:

Step 1:
    Please check the log files for the setup in order to analyze if the installation is stopping.

To analyze the log file please refer to the link below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...83(WS.10).aspx

Step 2:
    I would also suggest you to do a clean boot on your current operating system and then find out whether you current operating system can run a windows upgrade compatibility advisor.

Clean Boot will help you start your computer by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs so that you can determine whether a background program or any of the third party service is interfering with your program.

To perform clean boot, please follow the steps below.

1. Click Start on your Desktop

2. Type msconfig in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

4. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

5. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

6. Click OK.

7. When you are prompted, click Restart.

To return your computer back to normal boot:

1. Click Start on your Desktop

2. Type msconfig in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

3. Click the General tab.

4. Click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.

5. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

For information on using “Clean Boot”, see the following Microsoft Article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796