Thread: Gnome for BackTrack 4

Gnome for BackTrack 4

Hi folks.
    I just downloaded and installed on my hard disk, the final version of Backtrack. My question is if there is any way to install Gnome on this disk? Would it be a simple to get install gnome? And then what would be the command to run with it?. I am still amateur in all this things, so desperately need help from you guys. Any suggestion would be grateful. Thank you very much.
    ~*~Silent~Kid~*~
    "To The World You May Be Just One Person, But To One Person You May Be The World"

Re: Gnome for BackTrack 4

In principle and on an "official" because I do not think that I believe they are the repositories are only available BackTrack KDE packages and precompiled applications "exclusive" or modified for that disk. Anyway, and though I have no idea how Ubuntu 8.10 have been amended to BackTrack 4 if you're always so desperate to try using the Ubuntu 8.10 and GNOME download packages from official site of Ubuntu. Once installed and if there is not any problem in theory you should see an entry in Sessions / Session of KDM (the KDE login manager) to access the GNOME desktop.
    ALWAYS RIGHT - OTHER WISE I WUDNT SEY IT

Hello, I would go under ubuntu by importing all the tools it there 's networks in backtrack 4 how can I achieve this? Is there a special folder in backtrack to retrieve all the modules? I pass backtrack because ubuntu does not support my wireless card Broadcom bcm43xx.

You have to add ubuntu and Install. Then check menu in System / Administration / source updates, ignores the warning of key error. Then you go in the package manager and you install all the package. Then you go into firefox and you add the personal bar of firefox in this remote exploit wilw0rm backtrack aircrack-ng etc. you go into tools / add-on and you add the add-on below :
    • Tamper Data
    • xss me
    • sql inject me
    • access me
    • hackbar
    • noscript
    • torbutton
    If you want to keep the look you have nothing to do BT get the icon for gnome crystal diamond on the publisher's website or gnome look.

Since backtracking is passed version 4, they passed on a ubuntu, slackware was before. In addition they have created a repository containing tools backtrack. So if you have an ubuntu you can take home some tools. Beware the repository does not have any dependencies, so for some AC stuff will not pass, but all the nice little scripts so you can take. To benefit from this, do the following :
    sudo gedit / etc / apt / sources.list

Gnome for BackTrack 4

Hello,
    I have installed BackTrack on my computer and I have the KDE desktop environment. I would like to install the gnome environment on the backtrack operating system. So, if you guys have done this before then please help me with this. Also, I do not want to mess with the operating system. So, please provide me a perfect steps to do it. Thank you for your help.

BackTrack gnome

Hello,
    I just downloaded and installed on my HD the final version of Backtrack. My doubt is whether there is any way to install Gnome on this distro? would it be a simple sudo apt-get install gnome? Then what would be the command to run with it? So, if you have any idea then please let me know.

Hello,
    In principle and on an "official" because I do not think that I believe they are the repositories are only available BackTrack KDE packages and precompiled applications "exclusive" or modified for that distro. In any case, and though I have no idea of how much they have changed to Ubuntu 8.10 so desperate BackTrack 4. Once installed and if there is not any problem in theory you should see a login in Sessions / Session of KDM (the KDE login manager) to access the GNOME desktop.

Hello,
    You can use the backtrack live cd to do this. The development has been along with the release of the beta version last year but developers wanted the final version is flawless. It contains a new kernel, a large number of deposits expanded to all the tools, the presence of custom tools that you can find on Backtrack, and more importantly, fixes for major bugs. This version has received massive support from the community and developers are grateful to all those who contributed to its success.

Hello,
    GnacTrack is a Live Linux distribution designed for pen-testing, based on Ubuntu. Although GnacTrack like BackTrack is certainly not, is very similar, but based on the beloved GNOME. So, if you need gnome as an environment then you can use the following operating system and use gnome as a default desktop environment.

Hi, will rather wait for the next version of your distribution being as this is not a simple upgrade but a completely new version not yet compatible with all legacy software. Does not know me for mandriva, but some distributions are repositories of "backports" that allow you to install very recent versions of software, but in all cases it must still be a few days before the packages are ready. Have you tried to type in root in Console "rpmdrake" or "drakrpm" to launch your manager.??
    Desktop * Athlon X2 4200 | 2048M RAM | 160G HD | 7600GT
    MacMini * G4 1.33GHz | 512M RAM | 40G HD | Radeon 9200
    Laptop * Sempron 2800 | 512M RAM | 60G HD
    PDA * Dell Axim x51 | 128M Internal | 256M SD Card

Dr. V Guest

The next version of Ubuntu Linux, called Lucid Lynx than 10.4, is already beginning to show its teeth. On the side of the UI redesign as expected for some time Gnome will have made its appearance, even if nothing is really confirmed yet. However an alternative to Xsane, free software into the distribution for digitized documents, will undergo a complete overhaul to make it more ergonomic.