Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010

Mac OS - move a folder to another location with same name

Hello,
I have a small issue that must surely be simple, it has proposed something that is automatic on Windows, but not from Apple. I have two folders with the same name, I wish to move one of these file the parent folder of the other. So the final two records have the same name in one place. What I intend doing is that mac os is my intention to introduce only a single folder, but to merge their contents, and replace the files with the same name if it does, or ask me a issue as Windows does for instance choose what action I want to do.
Old 01-05-2010

Re: Mac OS - move a folder to another location with same name

Hello,
They are not in the same place, they are 2 different levels are nested and mac has no reason to ask what to do. Mac does what you ask if the records are really the same place (same level) and then he asks. For cons you can watch all subjects merger records. I guess this is the information that you need.
Old 01-05-2010

Move folder on Mac OS

Hello,
On Mac this is not possible without changing the name of one of two cases. It is forbidden to have two folders or files with the same name within a folder. The "merge content" does I have never been proposed by OS X. The answer when trying to move is usually: "An item titled" my-folder "(newer or older) already exists at that location. Would you replace this element (older or newer)? If it does not, the move is canceled.
Old 01-05-2010

Hello,
I am amazed that Windows allows to place the same "place" two folders with the same name at least I never found myself in this situation because I have certainly done well. Either two files with same name files in each folder, cut the files from folders and paste them into another folder and then remove the empty just to keep one.
Old 01-05-2010

Hello,
Windows does not put two folders of the same name in the same file, this is not what I say. Windows is better designed than Mac OS for this sort of thing is a big negative for MacOS. I'll try to explain more simply, you have a folder named "model letters" in a folder named "mail" in this case "model letters", there are several files named "letter1, and letter.2 lettre3". On my USB drive, I have another folder named " sample letters ", with 3 files:" lettre3, and lettre4 lettre5". I move the folder "sample letters" from my USB drive into the folder 'mail "from my mac. (it will thus be 2 files with the same name in the same place, which is not possible) behavior of MacOS, two possibilities: it removes the folder "sample letters" from the mac to be replaced by the USB, so the file will contain my mac files "lettre3, and lettre4 lettre5" "Or he does not copy the file on my mac and I keep the files" letter1, and letter.2 lettre3". Hope you understood what I am trying to explain.
Old 04-05-2010

Hello,
I copy the files, sometimes with similar names. The Finder indicates when two files have the same name, even if it is a moving mass. Better, he asked what to do and if this should apply to all where that file specifically. There is also Spotlight and Automatic, which helps to sort. But hey, what are the tools Mac OS X and badly suited for those who want at all to do Windows. I've never had to use for my personal account data recovery tools. It must be said that:
1. I still all that matters in duplicate.
2. I do not use Windows.
Old 04-05-2010

Hello,
On a Mac, and more content, records are assigned (and retain) a meaning and form. This allows for example that the applications are organized in files (files. app files are not, but the files!) or that the records be customized (background image, size and position of icons, annotations, etc.. ) for a defined use. It would be anomalous that manipulation come to destroy an organization that has its uses, and which result from work and rigor after all, very natural. But to be more constructive, I will simply recall that the two systems are different, it would be useless and sometimes harmful to seek at all costs to reproduce the same on Mac manipulations usually performed under Windows.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,