Thread: Dual boot Debian squeeze / lenny

Dual boot Debian squeeze / lenny

Hello,
    I have 2 disks on my computer, identified by / dev / sda and / dev / sdb. The first is installed a squeeze, I would like to install lenny on
    the second disc.
    When choosing the location of the grub loader, I decided to install grub from lenny on / dev/sdb1, not the mbr not to touch the grub squeeze. I said that this grub-pc squeeze and the grub-legacy for lenny. On the first reboot, I noticed that the grub squeeze had added an entry for the lenny and I booted it. I then found in the root partition of the squeeze. Well, no doubt we must create mount points for my partitions lenny and properly inform / etc / fstab, what I did . But after reboot, I found myself again in the squeeze.
    Do you have any idea about this. Thank you for the help.

Re: Dual boot Debian squeeze / lenny

Hello,
    Start your squeeze is done update-grub or grub-update, I have a doubt about the order. I think your problem is that the grub squeeze is not yet known that t You got another distro ... in fact, did you installed lenny, but not update the grub squeeze, then it is who manages the startup. I guess you are understanding what I am trying to explain here.

Hello,
    Even I do have a similar kind of a problem. Here is what I get the output after issuing the appropriate command in the terminal as a root user
    Code:
    # Cat etc / fstab 
    # / etc / fstab: static file system information. 
    # 
    # <file system><mount point><type><options><dump><pass> 
    proc / proc proc defaults 0 0 
    / dev/sdb1 / ext3 errors = remount-ro 0 1 
    / dev/sdb3 / home ext3 defaults 0 2 
    / dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0 
    / dev / hda / media/cdrom0 udf, iso9660 user, noauto 0 0 
    / dev/fd0 / media/floppy0 auto rw, user, noauto 0 0
    Any help regarding this is appreciated. Thanks for you help.

Hello,
    I did the same thing, but I did not success-ed. The grub of the squeeze (which is on the MBR) grub is 2 (grub-pc).
    I issued this command
    Code:
    # Update-grub
    The squeeze, it told me the kernel detected image of lenny, but nothing new to reboot: when I choose the entry in grub 2.6-26 lenny, I find myself in a console tty1 in the root partition of the squeeze. That said, the greeting is one of Lenny and uname-a returns a good nucleus 2.6-26. I think my problem is more of / etc / fstab. What must be one of lenny? I created a mount point to the squeeze to mount the partitions lenny, is that correct?

Debian squeeze / lenny dual booting

Hello,
    You need to install grub in the root of the partition that you want:
    Code:
    # grub-install / dev / sdX
    no more, no digit after the 'X'. If you do not have one. I think you have not configured you grub boot loader properly. You should first follow the steps and then you can configure the grub as and how you need it. I guess I am correct here and this information will help you.

Hello,
    I think, not even need a second grub. The first (the MBR) is perfectly capable of booting a kernel on another partition (especially since it is a Debian!) You give us your grub.cfg or menu.lst? Efective you start the course Lenny. Your problem is in the fstab of the lenny.
    You should put the disk UUID instead of
    Code:
    / dev / thing
    in your fstab.

Hello,
    In principle, grub is now organized to go out UUID natively, right? Otherwise, it often improves things. Eventually, after a grub-install, make a
    Code:
    # update-initramfs-u
    You mean that after you squeeze the grub from the grub rocking the lenny? If it is useless in my opinion. The grub of squeeze (on the MBR) will initiate a trouble-free kernel to a second partition. If Lenny (the second partition) to hand over the MBR, not worry about your entry that fails it Simply turn the conf file menu.lst.