Thread: MAC OSX 10.4 Disk utility problem

MAC OSX 10.4 Disk utility problem

I have been using Mac systems for a while now but have never faced such problems with it before. Recently I upgraded the operating system on my Macbook pro to Mac OS X 10.4 but after the operating system upgrade I am not able to run the disk management tool on the Macbook. It gives an error saying "Disk Management tool has stopped functioning". Also the performance of the computer has also degraded after upgradation of operating system. So if anybody else is facing similar MAC OSX 10.4 Disk utility problem then please share some information which might help me in solving the problem.

Re: MAC OSX 10.4 Disk utility problem

The account which you are using must not be having admin rights due to which the disk management tool is not working. Log into the laptop using the admin account and then run the disk management tool. See if the disk management tool runs properly or not. If the tool gives some problem then you can login to the system using the root account and then run the disk utility tool. To login to the root user, you will have to activate the root user from the Netinfo. Activate the root user account and then login to the account.

Sometimes invalid entries get stored in the system memory. If the system memory gets flooded with invalid entries then the system will not be able to access the system memory. If such a situation occurs then the performance of the computer will degrade. Hence you will have to clear all the invalid entries from the system RAM. To clear the invalid entries, shutdown the MACBOOK and locate the following keys on the computer (R, P, Apple and option). Press and hold the following keys while booting the laptop. Keep the keys pressed till three startup chimes are heard. Once 3rd startup chime is heard, release the button and let the system boot normally.

As suggested I activated the Root user on the system and logged into the system using the root user but still the disk management tool gave the same error while running and hence I am not able to repair the permissions on the hard drive. Therefore is there any other solution to this kind of problem? Please help.

I think the operating system which is installed on the computer is not working properly and hence you are facing such problem. If you have the installation disk of the operating system which you are using, insert it in the drive and boot the system from the disk. Let the installer load and give installation option. Select Install/archive mode of installation which will enable you to use the applications which are installed on the previous operating system. After installation of the operating system, you will not face the same problem again.

Check if there are any other processes running on the computer. Every application which is executed on the computer requires some memory and CPU allocation and hence if more number of applications are executed together the performance of the computer will suffer. Open the Activity monitor and see all the processes which are running. Terminate the processes which are unnecessary and unwanted. Check if the performance of the system improves.