Thread: SCSI hard disk device node creation

SCSI hard disk device node creation

Hi,
    I need some help here regarding SCSI hard disk node creation in Linux. Here I am trying to run some service on the Linux platform. The hot plug option here is disabled now. In Linus as a part of the code I think there is no need of generation a device file for those devices which are not frequently used. Like if thereis a attached SCSI hard drive then it creating /dev/sda or /dev/sda1, etc on its own. I need help in creating this node for USB SCSI drive.

Re: SCSI hard disk device node creation

I think this might be done automatically but I am not sure about the same. In cause of a USB SCSI drive attached on your system then on the boot up option this might be created automatically. You can use GParted for that. I think the SCSI driver can create then ode file and that makes the driver to run automatically. It will be listed as /dev/sda1.

The node creation of hard drive in Linux is done by udev. This udev service works with HAL and Dbus. For I will recommend you to search more about udev functioning and setup information. Udev gives you a dynamic /dev directory and also on the same hand it hoots the userspace to the kernel device events. You can refer the man pages of udev and other documentation included in it.

You must know one thing that the node /dev/sda and the other one /dev/sdb are the partitions of hard disk. The nodes which represent a number at the end replicates each partition on the hard drive. Like if you have 2 partition then /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda 2 is the two partitions which are present on your hard disk it is not related to the different hard drive.

In Linux platform the Nodes are created by mknod. It is a command line program which is used to create nodes which has a similar name. This nodes can then be moved or deleted by any file system. You can rename them also. After passing option -R or while copying a node of a device th cp command here generates a new device node with similar attribute.