Thread: Windows 7: "insufficient memory or disk space."

Windows 7: "insufficient memory or disk space."

Since yesterday, I am unable to launch Word 2007 and other Office suite programs. I am using Windows 7. Whenever I try to open any Word file, I get the below mentioned error message.

"insufficient memory or disk space."

I don't think this is the problem of RAM or hard disk. I have cleared the temporary files and folders but still faced the same problem. I even tried to reinstall Ms Office but it was no help.

Is there anyone who can help me?

Dr. V Guest

Re: Windows 7: "insufficient memory or disk space."

This may occur if you have lots of temporary files scattered here and there on your computer, this need not to be present in Windows temp folder only. To completely remove all of them, you have perform a search and find all the *.dot, *.tmp, *.temp etc files and remove them. These are all just junks that occupy your hard disk unnecessarily.

This problem occurs if there is insufficient disk space available for Word to save the file. When working with Word (and other programs Office file, the Windows swap file (Win386.swp) increases in size. This can be large enough and can use up most or all of the available disk space. To prevent this behavior from occurring, add more hard disk space, either by adding a larger disk drive or by using a disk compression utility.

This is very odd problem that I have seen. However if this happens to you with Word then you will be able to find a normal.dot somewhere on your computer. Search for it. And remove it. If you are unable to find then go to Start, Run and type "cmd". Press OK to go to Command Prompt. Now type "dir \normal.dot /S/A/P" and press Enter. This will show you where the file is exactly located and thus you should be able to delete it manually.

This problem may occur if you are trying to open a file containing lots of images or an image occupying a large amount of disk space. Try to create a new file with smaller images. Use the following steps to link to your graphic image instead of saving it in your Word document.

1. In the location in your Word document where you want the graphic image to appear, point to Picture on the Insert menu, and then click From File.
    2. Click the graphic image that you want.
    3. Click the arrow on the Insert button, and then click Link to File.

Use the following steps to paste your graphic image as a picture:

1. Click a graphic image.
    2. On the Edit menu, click Cut.
    3. In the location where you want your graphic image, click Paste Special on the Edit menu.
    4. In the Paste Special dialog box, click Picture (in the As list), and then click OK.

jim10 Guest

1. Clean up the hard disk drive.
    You can run the Disk Cleanup function by clicking on the insufficient Disk Space popup. This tool will scan your drives and look for files that you can safely erase. Usually this will be little help.

2. Remove programs. You can consider removing programs that you don't use and moving large media files (videos, music, graphics) to other partition. But you will spend a lot of time to do this.

3. Extend partition. You may use free partition manager software to resize partition and it is the easy and efficient way. You can extend your partition as you wish and do not need to worry about data lose.

I have autocad 2011 and excel 2010 when I paste special from Excel to autocad I says INSUFFICIENT MEMORY FOR THIS OPERATION
    Where as I have 2 gb RAM 43