Thread: No /dev/hda

No /dev/hda

I am trying to recover my Western Digtal 500GB hard disk (connected via IDE), I have already recovered 80GB with copyr.dma and that was successful and now desired to do the rest of the drive with GNU ddrescue. So that I used the Parted Magic live cd to perform this. The issue is that I am unable to find my hard disk, Although it is listed when I see in the Hardware information application. Would you suggest me " How can I be able to access it as /dev/hda or /dev/sda or whatever it needs?

No /dev/hda

Fine, you have done the associated task earlier but there are something that is needed for us to resolve your solution. So would you tell me the description about your device, You can post the descirption with the help of following command. You need to execute the fdisk command with the following option -

Code:
    [Root@station1] # fdisk -l
    Type this command in Terminal of PartedMagic. Does it list HD? Post the output .

No /dev/hda

Thanks for kind suggestion and I have done that you suggested me, you also told that just post me the output of the command when you got. So this is the output of the command -

disk /dev/sdb 500.1 GB
    lots of drive info....
    Disk identifier: 0x00510051

disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table.

After all of the suggestion from my friend also, I have checked, /dev/sdb is my usb drive. So there is nothing else.

No /dev/hda

Hello Deshpande,

One of the tools that can be used to solve the issue that you are getting and I am sure you can access the disk properly. The name of the tool is suggested as testdisk. Have you tried testdisk to recover/resolve partition table? Its available in PartedMagic LiveCD and works really good. Just try this out and I am sure, you can get the positive result as you need..

No /dev/hda

I think , you need to connect it through SATA. Testdisk script recover partition table much better and it will possibly resolve your problem. if you are not getting the exact solution.

disk /dev/sdb 500.1 GB
    lots of drive info....
    Disk identifier: 0x00510051
    fdisk -l is detecting it properly. When you run testdisk command within PartedMagic Terminal, what does it display? Does it detect /dev/sdb and provide option to scan partition table?