Thread: "FATAL: Module not found error" using modprobe

"FATAL: Module not found error" using modprobe

I recently started writing simple loadable kernel modules and I am having problem with modprobe command. I am on Ubuntu 9.10. I am getting the below message when I use modprobe to insert the USB module:

root@alysa-desktop:/home/alysa/Desktop/drivers/core# modprobe usbcore.ko
    "FATAL: Module not found error"

I am completely unaware of the fact that why I am getting this error. Can you suggest me some method to let me do what I wanted?

Re: "FATAL: Module not found error" using modprobe

Are you sure you have installed the module properly? Have you checked it whether it is placed properly in the slot? If you are unsure then try the same with the below command:
    Code:
    find /lib/modules -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko'

Compiling and using kernel modules is altogether different from compiling a C or C++ code for an application. In the case of kernel modules, you first have to provide the actual module that you want to use via loadable module and then you configure the kernel to provide that functionality. So, in other words, it seems to me as is you are trying to use a module which is either not provided to the kernel or the kernel is not able to figure out what to do with the module that is provided to it.

Dr. V Guest

modprobe usbcore.ko
    Here is where you are doing the mistake. Don't include the .ko extension. I think that is not needed. Have you tried even after removing the extension? What happened?

Code:
    modprobe usbcore

I am still getting the same error message. I even tried to disable the usb module when compiling the kernel but nothing happens. Should I try to install the module manually? Does anyone else have to say anything?

I think you don't have the driver file. I would recommend to get the driver file and copy it using this command
    Code:
    sudo cp /home/sharief/Desktop/drivers/core/usbcore.ko  /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko