Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 plasma freezing

Ubuntu 9.10 plasma freezing

Hello everyone !

I am running with a fresh installation of Ubuntu 9.10 . This is on my laptop with an nvidia 9300M and the newest nvidia 195 drivers. Commonly, and what is seeming like more often lately, plasma freezes. My applications are continually running, and I can switch through Alt-Tab between all of the applications, but the background is frozen and the task/toolbar freezes. Suddenly, it starts to work again, but now it is unexpected . I restart the laptop as just stopping kdm (sudo stop kdm) and restarting it does not fix things, after I log in to kdm the desktop never shows up.

Hello dear,

I am running with the same issue and performed a lot of search but unable to get any solution, I discussed with one of the met of mine from sports and he suggested me to with a solution yet. Like you said,He suggested me that rebooting is the only thing that seems to resolve. I have tried to killing plasma-desktop and then restarting it, it never comes back. Even with a full logout and log back in. A full restart of the system is the only thing that works..

Hello sir,

I am very thankful for you that you got my thread and replied your views to suggest me. I tried to implement your suggestions but nothing happened,After restarting the system switched into the same condition..Still running with the same issue and anyone more having good and effective suggestion for my problems.

Thanks once again!!!!!!!!!!!

I have some effective solution here and I hope , you would get succeed after using this method or way -

First Kill the desktop : killall plasma-desktop

Now Move current config to backup: mv ~/.kde ~/.kde~

After then restart the desktop: plasma-desktop

Though I did not try the latter (kdm restart) and also there is some pron and cons of this procedure: The desktop will work now and Cons : Have to redo your settings

Dr. V Guest

I want to discuss something here if you are having some issues with the head light of the car then why you are going to open the engine , To reset plasma settings you only have to rename/remove plasma's configuration files, not entire KDE's. They're the files beginning with plasma in ~/.kde/share/config/.

Code:
    $ kquitapp plasma-desktop
    $ mkdir ~/plasma-backup
    $ mv ~/.kde/share/config/plasma* ~/plasma-backup
    $ plasma-desktop

Like so many users, I also having freezing issue on my desktop as well. Simultaneously I find out a sound driver issue there. In my scenario, Login - sound driver would fail (snd_hda_intel) and system would get back to pulseaudio.

After somewhile near about 30 minutes, desktop would "freeze" or at least pause for some intervals. During this, input would be accepted and after a while entire thing would all of a sudden happen - desktop would roll or windows close/open, whatever I had tried to do during freeze. During the same time, I looked into my audio probelm, which I fixed by reverting to a switch put in alsa-base that was needed before 2.6.31-14 and moving pulseaudio down in the sound card list.