Thread: 9.10 Karmic on Acer Aspire One

9.10 Karmic on Acer Aspire One

From when they have close down the last Acer Aspire one, I thought that I can make it make again myself. To solve our problems related to Acer Aspire One.

I need to know has anybody has changed the hardware in their Acer Aspire one other than changing the RAM (Random Access Memory). Actually I need to change the PCIe Mini wireless card to that which can support wireless N. One more thing does Ubuntu is having software which can support it. Need details related to 9.10 Karmic on Acer Aspire One

Dr. V Guest

Re: 9.10 Karmic on Acer Aspire One

I am also using Acer Aspire One ZG5 with the Ubuntu 9.10 operating system. Everything was working fine with it, except the boot time. The boot time in Ubuntu 9.04 is approximately 0:50 and the boot time I am getting is around 1:50 and sometimes more than that. Anyone also facing this issue while using Ubuntu 9.10 operating system.

I tried to use Karmic on my Acer Aspire One ZG5 and then switched back to Jaunty because of the following reasons.
    1. Having the problem with the card reader which seems to be totally dead
    2. Unable to hear any sound it will be more obvious if I say that there is no sound at all
    3. Installer causing the GRUB Errors 17 and 22 which I have no idea how to fix it.
    4. Problem with the cell modem
    5. The most irritating one, excessive long boot time.

I have been using Karmic since when RC nearly about two weeks ago on my Acer Aspire One with the normal hard disk and the one Giga bytes of RAM, No SSD. Everything seems to work fine except the internal mic. Well I have not used it until now. I am still trying to get the kuki's/sickboy's kernel so the I can improve the power management.

According to me, it is much less troubling if compared to other Ubuntu install. I am satisfied with this performance.

These steps may help you to solve the problem
    1. First, install the package 'pavucontrol' through Synaptic Package Manager, or by using the code:
    sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
    2.Then find 'PulseAudio Volume Control' on the 'Sound & video' applications menu, and after that start it.
    3. Then click on the 'input devices' tab.
    4. After that, click on the padlock icon to undo the sliders for 'Internal Audio Analog Stereo'.
    5. Then move one of the sliders to the left, and other to the right.
    6. Finally close the control and this will sort out you problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin K View Post
    These steps may help you to solve the problem
    1. First, install the package 'pavucontrol' through Synaptic Package Manager, or by using the code:

2.Then find 'PulseAudio Volume Control' on the 'Sound & video' applications menu, and after that start it.
    3. Then click on the 'input devices' tab.
    4. After that, click on the padlock icon to undo the sliders for 'Internal Audio Analog Stereo'.
    5. Then move one of the sliders to the left, and other to the right.
    6. Finally close the control and this will sort out you problem.

My input device under Pulse Audio Volume Control says no input devices available, and the configuration tab says that there are no cards to configure.

under the hardware tab in sound properties, there are no devices to configure.

checking my sound card yielded this:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 015b
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
    Memory at 78540000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Codec: Realtek ALC268

I have no sound or mic capabilities on Acer ZG5 after upgrading to 9.10. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
    My input device under Pulse Audio Volume Control says no input devices available, and the configuration tab says that there are no cards to configure.

I have no sound or mic capabilities on Acer ZG5 after upgrading to 9.10. Help!
    After upgrading the system, i guess your sound drivers might have faced some problem. So dont worry and just try to update your sound drivers or try to download it from here . Hope this will help you for sure. !!

The web site only has windows drivers. I'm out of ideas short of completely reformatting!! HELP

Quote Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
    The web site only has windows drivers. I'm out of ideas short of completely reformatting!! HELP
    Did you check in System -> Preferences -> Sound to see if the Sound/Mic is muted. You can also try to using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"

Open this file for editing:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    Insert this line at the bottom:
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=acer
    Save. Close. Reboot. Check your levels in alsamixer.
    Code:
    alsamixer
    Then you have to press F6 to select the correct soundcard. Also dont forget to press F3 to show playback levels. F4 selects capture levels [or use <Tab>]. Use the left/right arrow keys to select and up/down arrow keys to change levels. Go to "System>Preferences>Sound" and make sure the correct soundcard is default.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

in System --> Sound, under the hardware tab I have no devices to configure so I doubt the problem is that it is muted. under the output tab, it says that I have a dummy output driver installed.

Quote Originally Posted by newtech View Post
    Did you check in System -> Preferences -> Sound to see if the Sound/Mic is muted. You can also try to using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
    Added the line to alsa-base.conf, rebooted, wrote alsamixer in the terminal and got an error:

-laptop:~$ alsamixer alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

I installed the alsamixergui, but it's not very helpful. It says my card and chip is pulseaudio. still no sound. Any other ideas?

Open this file for editing:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    Insert this line at the bottom:
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=acer
    Save. Close. Reboot. Check your levels in alsamixer.
    Code:
    alsamixer
    Then you have to press F6 to select the correct soundcard. Also dont forget to press F3 to show playback levels. F4 selects capture levels [or use <Tab>]. Use the left/right arrow keys to select and up/down arrow keys to change levels. Go to "System>Preferences>Sound" and make sure the correct soundcard is default.