Thread: How to Install Apps with Synaptic Package Manager in Ubuntu

How to Install Apps with Synaptic Package Manager in Ubuntu

Hi, basically i am Windows Xp user, but my younger bro has bought a new pc with Ubuntu operating system. Well, i know little bit about this OS but not much. Now as you all know, how simple it is to install apps in Windows and how difficult to do the same in Ubuntu. Somebody suggested me to use Synaptic Package Manager to install apps in Ubuntu. Could you guys please make me know how to Installing Apps with Synaptic Package Manager in Ubuntu ? Thanks for all your helps !!!

Re: How to Install Apps with Synaptic Package Manager in Ubuntu

Thats really true that istalling applications in Ubuntu is very tough unless and untill we are programmers and very familiar with the system. Synaptic Package Manager is really a good way for this task. Luckily this application makes us to can install almost any software automatically. Whichever way you install software and platform that we do, we must consider the risks involved, the Synaptic Package Manager is a very reliable, but if not used properly can result in instability des system, so we must use our common sense when installing any program and try not to install software that does not need or do not know.

Lets assume that you need to install recordMyDesktop application on your Ubuntu system Synaptic Package Manager. Below is how you can do that:

To access the manager going to: System> Administration> Synaptic Package Manager, we introduce our administrator password and we can see the main screen. Then in quick search box write the name of the software we need for this case will recordmydesktop, as we each character entering the manager is showing us the result that most resembles, so we select only what we want. In this case we see that we have to install two packages, double click to select the check box on the left.

Having done this press the Apply button, the application shows the summary of the software to install, and if we want to do is click to apply again and the manager will download and install the software you've selected. Once the process is complete and ready informs us we can start using the software.

Hey guys, thanks for sharing this useful info. Its really worth for the new users of Ubuntu system. Now, one of my friend also faces problem while installing any software on his system. Actually he was trying to make his Ubuntu 3D desktop. But was unable to do so. Is there any way to set 3D desktop in Ubuntu 9.10 using Synaptic Package Manager ? Please let me know if yes.. Help appreciated.

First open the Synaptic Package Manager and search and install the package compizconfig-settings-manager, once this is done go to System / Preferences / Options Manager compizconfig and click to enter . Before proceeding set up 4 desktops (four columns - one row).

Now compiz window section we address the desktop and we will activate the desktop cube options and Rotate Cube, the system asks us if we activate the plugins, we say that the active and ready, we already have our 3D desktop.

Dr. V Guest

Basically the keyboard shortcuts to manage are the same as those used to manage multiple desktops with a slight variation:

Ctrl + Alt + Down Arrow = View online desktop, hold down Ctrl + Alt + Left or right we move between desktops.

Ctrl + Alt + Arrow (Left or Right) Turn the Cube

Ctrl + Alt + Up If we open an instance of our image viewer moves between the images are available (But nothing happens.)