Thread: Can't launch Gnome/Openbox session

Can't launch Gnome/Openbox session

Hello,

I installed Openbox on my Karmic and while the Openbox session runs just well, I unable to seem to launch the Gnome/Openbox session. It just getting redirected to the main log screen.

Is there any fix for this issue ? The problem seems to be known for more than one distributions now but I have not got something really up-to-date ( specially for 9.10) and I don't desired to mess up with my system files.

I am getting your problem but let me know that You are doing all of the thing to logging into the gnome. Have you tried to do with other way and just go to log out option. Have you tried it earlier to log out then trying to start a Gnome session? You should be using GDM for login. At the bottom of the screen should be a selector that gives you an option to change the session. If you will go for this then I am sure you can solve this problem..

Best of luck

Hello dude,

I was having some issues with this. The Installation of openbox allows login to an openbox session, but GNOME/openbox would just redirected to login screen. Commonly load gconf-editor and change with the following statement -

Code:
    Key:
    /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager

To value:
    openbox

A little bit suggestion of you that if you are unable to get the exact solution then you need to check the local system efficiency and for you to do the same but I am not so sure if it's an openbox issue to be honest, but atleast, we can check . Cause the openbox message basically says you that there is already a window manager or any bulky processes getting executing in the background and that is causing the error . Can you check your process list please and find which one is that and then remove that form the list frequently....

Hello friend,

I got this problem when I was a working with a new firm and find the solution with my own way and just added this to System/preferences/Startup Applications

Code:
    openbox --replace
    Then after I had just lunched gnome as normal procedure and was running successfully.