Thread: Error: Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer

Error: Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer

Hi,
    I had just purchased a new MacBook with Intel C2D processor and 2GB RAM support. The system came with pre-installed Leopard 10.05.1 on it. I want to remove this and install Mac OS X. For this I got a DVD for it, but when I try to run the setup I got a error message that Mac OS X cannot install on this system. Read the install read me on DVD. What is this error about and how to fix it.

Re: Error: Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer

First check the DVD which you had purchased. You have to run a DVD integrity test before running the setup. The DVD might not be functioning well due to which you are getting this error. The error appears usually if the hardware is not detected by the installation disc. I think the installation disc is not proper. Try to check the same with a different DVD.

It is possible to modify the installation Mac OS X DVD and then run the installation. You can do this via Disk Utility. For this you will XAR tool which will uncompressed all the OS installation file in the /system/library. Just download the same and then move the file to your system. Create new disc out of that and then run the setup. If you find any error while copying then the disc is damaged.

I will recommend you to use full erase and installation. This will wipe out all the data from your PC and give you a fresh installed Mac OS X. I am not able to figure about here that which version of MAC OS X you are trying to install. It creates some time problem where you cannot install Mac on a different folder. So better perform a full erase and scan.

Yes the method of first saving the installation file to system and then burning a disc out of it is a much better idea. It happens when DVD's does not detect properly while installation. I had done this same procedure where my installation failed due to bad media. Hopefully all the installation files where copied to my system successfully and now it works.

There are several reasons behind the fail installation procedure. Enter Disk Utility which is located under partition and ensure firs that your partitions in Leopard are using Guid partition table. There are two reason when this option does not work. The first is that you did not have a GUID partition support and the other is that some pc comes with OS and they are locked for that. You cannot use other OS on them.