Thread: Windows Media Codec problems in VISTA

question Windows Media Codec problems in VISTA

Hi.

Ive seen other forum messages on this topic both here and other places but havent found an answer for it yet, so thought Id spread it around and see what you guys know.

Ive got a problem on my dads acer vista 32 laptop. He has been compiling some slide-show movies for his blog using Windows Live Movie Maker. All was well until he done something that caused it to stop working just on the last few videos.

An error message poped up saying: "Movie Maker can't save your movie using the selected profile. Please select a different profile to use for saving your movie. Errror: 0xC00D0BC4". All the profiles were in the same state. Ive seen the ms forum on this topic which lead to nothing except to upgrade to Windows 7 which I havnt done..... yet. I installed Windows Media Encoder 9 which told me there was a missing codec(s) required for the profiles.

I tested the program on my custom built asus PC, also running vista 32, and everything runs fine. The profile editor shows only the Windows Media Audio/Video 9 codecs so I figure thats all I needed. But after downloading and installing those codecs onto dads computer, WME9 still won't load the codecs and throws me an error: The requested audio codec is not installed on this system. (0xC00D0BC2), also in Profile Editor when I select audio and list the codecs available, it just shows: None (PCM)

Ive even tried some hot fixes recommended on some forums and on the microsoft website but I keep getting a message saying: This does not apply to your system. So Ive hit a brick wall.

Any ideas guys?

thanks,
    Anthony

Re: Windows Media Codec problems in VISTA

I think that the issue is with the codec you should try the K-Lite Codec Pack which might resolve the issue related to the to the same. The K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of DirectShow filters, VFW/ACM codecs, and tools. So it is advisable to download the same and see whether the problem is resolved or still there. You can download it from here.

unsure Re: Windows Media Codec problems in VISTA

Ive already downloaded and tried klite codec pack 5.9 full but tried your one with still the same result. Ive also already tried re-installing Windows Media Encoder and Windows Live Movie Maker.

Apparently a few other people are having the same problem-ive read on a Microsoft Answers forum but theyv only gone as far as MM not able to publish on selected profile. Microsofts answer was a post made by someone who wrote: "Well, I solved my problem. I just bought a copy of Windows 7 and used that instead. A bit expensive but was worth it I guess. " which Im not willing to do. kinder close to it thou, backing up everything, re-installing vista, and downloading all of dads progs but if it happens again Im not going throu that process all over again.
    Last edited by Raj; 23-04-2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: link

Re: Windows Media Codec problems in VISTA

Ok guys... or whoever has been reading this. Ive given up. From my extensive research on this, Ive found that almost everyone who has been using WLMM has had or is having the same program and are seeking alternative applications. I think even MS has given up on the whole MM project-pretty sad. A few days ago I found a little prog called Al-Soft Slideshow Movie Producer!. (ps. this is not an advert.. among the most I hav found this seems the most decent) Its pretty sweet and seems pretty stable too, but doesnt have proper dissolve/alpha fades or pan/zoom features in it, but it does what my dad wants. Hes happy, Im happy, i dont have to worry about his computer, I can get on with my life.. feeewwww.
    the end!