Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Re-compiling a Linux Kernel

Operating Systems

Old 21-04-2010

Re-compiling a Linux Kernel

Hello,
My problem looks in particular the configuration of the kernel with xconfig. There is one thing I do not understand. Obviously when I install Linux (Mandrake 9) I care not for the kernel configuration, I let the distro. But when I run the xconfig this times, lots of options are already enabled. Does it correspond to the kernel configuration as installed by the distribution or is there a difference? The problem is that I do not find a file type kernel.config, and I just recompile changing some options.

Old 21-04-2010

Re: Re-compiling a Linux Kernel

Hello,
I will advice to change lilo or grub to be able to boot without a kernel panic if your kernel are not correct
Here is the code for it
Code:
default = Linux

image = / boot / bzImage
        label = Linux
        read-only

image = / boot / bzImageTest
        label = newLINUX
        read-only
Here's what I do when I test a new kernel. At startup I always choose to go back to my old kernel that worked.
Old 21-04-2010

Linux Kernel compilation

Hello,
Even I am in the similar kind of a situation, I reinstalled everything. It is true that the recompilation is a pain when you master it (especially the kernel configuration, actually). But the problem with the distro like Mandrake is that the kernel is precompiled and includes hundreds of implementations totally useless. moreover it is not optimized for its own machine: for example, version supports all processors i386 i786 etc.
Old 21-04-2010

Hello,
I have a question for you guys, does the size of the nucleus, depending on options selected (and therefore its size) can influence the course of the beast? Since prior to the larger it is the more prned memory footprint. I am really confused with this concept and I think I need a explanation on this. So, please explain me in brief. Thanks for your attention.
Old 21-04-2010

Hello,
While the pre-compiled kernels contain bcp options that may Thee unnecessary. But imagine if there was a kernel config should be well over 3 CDs. And then it allows some movement. I had no CD. So no need SCSI support. And when I've added one, I did not have to recompile for the add! Same for my Ethernet card. To answer the question on the size, most of the 'options' are compiled as a module. These modules are loaded only when used. So, your kernel keeps a reasonable size. It takes up space on the disk, that's all.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , ,