Thread: Working with linux and windows

Working with linux and windows

I used to work with Linux and windows both. Can I replace my present Windows installation the entire together (like I did more than a few years previously and never look back) or I can set it to run together with Linux. Inside is how to do it moreover method. In order to avoid tweaking with the boot loaders subsequent to the installation, can anyone suggest which one to install first. I had heard that Linux can be familiar with and modify the Windows boot loader accordingly, but this is not true the additional way.

Re: Working with linux and windows

The operating systems utilize dissimilar file systems. The Windows sequence up to the XP release used FAT32, and the NT series used NTFS. The Linux be capable to read and write to those file systems, but works on a dissimilar file system itself – in information in sequence additional than a few of them are obtainable. The most important file systems that Linux uses are ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs, and jfs. On the other hand, most of the time ext3 is at present preferred.

It classify to have additional than one operating system on the similar disk, the disk be supposed to be so arranged that there is a divide space for every operating system, plus the space to be formatted by the operating system’s native separation. So, if you determine to have two operating systems, Linux and Windows on the similar hard disk, then Windows space determine to be formatted with NTFS (if NT, XP or Vista to be installed), and the Linux space determine to be formatted with ext3.

If you have previously enthusiastic the entire of your hard disk to Windows, then you have to free up a number of space. For the entire Windows operating systems, previous to attempting for making space defragment your hard disk first. Then you have to back up the entire of your significant files. Making space involves partitioning and it is a low level activity that has the potential to scratch your information in case of several breakdowns.

If you are working or have Windows XP installed, you have to download GParted and burn it as a picture to a CD. After that when you boot your system from GParted, you determine to be exposed the separations in your hard disk. You be able to resize your existing Windows separation and generate an unfilled space. To do that you have to shift the slider by clicking and dragging to the left to disappear and right to expand. When you are completed, save your modification and reboot.

If you have Windows Vista installed, rights hit it off on “My Computer” and choose “Manage.” In the “Computer Management” window, then choose “Disk Management” on the left pane under “Storage.” At the bottom pane, right hit it off on the separation and selects “Shrink Partition.” The tool determines to verify how much space it determines to be capable to free up. If you have followed your advice and defragmented your hard disk, the freed up space determine to be higher. If the obtainable space is regarding 10 Gigabytes, hit it off the “Shrink” switch. Depending on the size of your disk, you be capable of organize the amount to your liking. When Vista finishes, you determine to observe a separation in the bottom pane named “Unallocated” which determine to be the space in which you determine to install our Linux allocation. Then at the end you have to reboot the system after shrinking the Windows separation.