Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010

Why Choose Debian Gnu/Linux?

Hello,
I need to choose a Linux distribution that meets certain criteria for me but I do not know much about Debian. I need a stable system, used in business, not leaving a new version every 6 me (like ubuntu, madriva, etc..), Which is robust. Debian does it matter? Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-04-2010

Re: Why Choose Debian Gnu/Linux?

Hello,
Debian is known for its robustness and stability. And it does not leave a version every 6 months but when the new version is deemed ready. It is therefore a good choice. Also found on the net amount of tutorials for this distribution which is after all not so difficult to maintain if one is not daunted by the command line. So, I think you can go with Debian Gnu/Linux operating system.
Old 08-04-2010

Hello,
The new policy of debian is for a few months and release a new stable version every 2 years. Excellent Linux Distribution. It is used on quite a dedicated server which proves that it is robust operating system. Also if you want an operating system for home use then you can try Ubuntu, this is also a good operating system. Also, it is based on the Debain Gnu/Linux distribution. so, if you need you can even try that.
Old 08-04-2010

Hello,
Yes Debian is a very good solution for a professional environment, without external support, (otherwise it must tap the Rhesa or SLES). I'm in linux and unix benefits is 90% of debian that is precisely the stability of the lifeline of the stable branch of the distribution, of course there is a testing branch but etc. in prod, it's stable. So, even I think that you should use the Debian Gnu/Linux operating system
Old 08-04-2010

Hello,
To add a layer, Debian is a much used in industry where robustness and stability prevail over any other consideration. Personally, I use this in production on a server and a compute cluster for a while now and I am very happy. The administration requires a little know how but says there are many Winnt tutorials and documentation are in general well done. To add a comment, some companies do not use Debian but another system like SuSE or RedHat Linux Enterprise not because they are more stable, efficient etc.. but because it is behind a company they can call in case of problems with the OS, unlike when behind Debian, Ben is the community.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,