Thread: Program Icons show a .LNK extension on Windows 7 desktop

Program Icons show a .LNK extension on Windows 7 desktop

I have a computer that has windows 7 operating system and when i try to open a Adobe Reader file, i get an error message stating that "which program do you want to associate with?", then i selected Adobe. Now all the program icons and the desktop shortcuts they show the "Adobe" logo with a .LNK extension. After that i tried to run System Restore but i got an error, it was unable to access the file required. After that i also ran a system scan with the help of Bit Defender and it say that the system is clean. I don't know why it is happening, please help me..

Re: Program Icons show a .LNK extension on Windows 7 desktop

I think there is a corrupted user profile, so you need to fix it. Your user profile is a collection of settings which makes the computer look and work the way you want. It contains all your settings for the desktop backgrounds, screen savers, pointer preferences, sound settings, and some other features. User profiles can ensure that your personal preferences can be used whenever you log on to the Windows. If you log on Windows and after that if you receive an error message stating that your user profile might be corrupted, then you need to repair it. To do this you need to create a new profile, and then copy all the files from the existing profile to the new one.

If you want to create a new user profile then you must first create a new user account. And when the account is created then, a profile is also created. The steps that you have to follow will vary, which will depend on wheather your computer is on the domain or on a workgroup. You can create it with the domain as i think your computer is on domain. So just follow all the steps and then you will be able to create a new user profile.

After you have created a new user profile then you need to copy files to the new user profile from the old one. To complete all the steps which are stated below, you must have at least three user accounts, including the new account you just created.

1. You need to log on as a user rather than the new user that you have just created or the user that you want to copy the files from.
    2. After that open the My Documents folder by clicking on the Start button. Then double-click on the hard disk drive which Windows is installed, then double-click the Users, after that double-click on the folder with the name of your account, and then double-click on My Documents.
    3. Then click on the Tools menu, and after that click on the Folder Options.
    4. Then click on the View tab, and then click on Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    5. Remove the Hide protected operating system files.
    6. Then locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder.
    7. Then select all the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:
    • Ntuser.dat
    • Ntuser.dat.log
    • Ntuser.ini

8. Then click on the Edit menu, and then click on Copy.
    9. Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder
    10. Then click the Edit menu, and click Paste.
    11. Log off, and then log back on as the new user.

If the problem persists after you have tried the above methods then you can also reset the default .exe file association by importing some registry key.

1. You need to save the Default_EXE.zip file from the internet.

2. Then right click on the Default_EXE.zip file and then you need to extract it.

3. After that right click on the Default_EXE.reg file and then click Merge.

4. Then click Yes to confirm the modification.

5. Finally please check if the problem can be resolved.

I think you need to try to restore the LNK association files using the LNK association fix, which can be found out on the internet and if you want then you can go on the google search and then you can find out the fix for the problem which you are trying to solve it. So if you want then you can also have it on the official website of the windows 7. So please check for the fix on the internet.