Thread: Copying Virtual machine from inside Hyper-v Manager

Copying Virtual machine from inside Hyper-v Manager

Currently I have installed the Hyper-V and also created a new virtual machine for the windows server 2008. I have also created default and when the installation is completed on my machine then the fount that virtual hard disk has taken 8 gigabytes. Can I create the virtual machine using less amount of disk space?
    One more thing and that is important can I copy and paste it using the hyper-v manager console for having more than one virtual machine. Finally I need help for Copying Virtual machine from inside Hyper-v Manager

Re: Copying Virtual machine from inside Hyper-v Manager

According to my knowledge you cannot just cut and paste the and create a new virtual machine. And if you try to that and you are successful then the virtual machine will not work properly since they will be identical in each and every aspect, which also include the MAC address of the NIC and the SID.

Dr. V Guest

As per my knowledge you can make the copy of the virtual hard drive and then you can create a new virtual machine linked to the new virtual hard disk. Even if you copy the virtual hard disk then you have to do some work for making the second virtual machine distinct window wise.

For creating the virtual machine running and server 2003 you have to follow the steps given below.
    1. First of all shut down the operating system and the virtual machine that you want to copy.
    2. After that create a new directory and then use the RoboCopy for copying the .vhd in the new directory.
    3. Then rename the .vhd
    4. Now create the new virtual machine in the Hyper V manager, which is pointing the .vhd in the new available directory

You can build the virtual machine to the base image. I mean to install the operating system to add any patch that exist or in chance of your AV, and the other tools that you will like to have in the images. There are only couples of option available for the OOBE, Generalize and shutdown and after that let it runs.