Thread: VPC and 64-bit Guest support

VPC and 64-bit Guest support

I have some confusion and wanted to share with you all. The question is related to the supporting behavior of the Virtual machine . Will Windows Virtual PC support 64-bit guests? VMware's Workstation software is capable to support 64-bit guests for quite a while. Is this just a limitation of the Beta, or will the RTM offer 64-bit guest support? Do you all have any more idea about this????

Thanks

According to me, It is not possible . Its a real shame in my opinion. Windows Virtual PC is supported and distributed on the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Windows 7, but in case of the guest OS, They are available to support running in the virtual environments with only 32-bit OSs.

The supported driver for this virtual platform is to run legacy applications, that would not be 64-bit. It can be possible, we will see an advance version in the future expanding the supported virtual guests to 64-bit.

This is problem of supporting features from both side, Neither Virtual PC and nor Virtual Server are able to support 64-bit guests. Your only Microsoft solution is Hyper-V, executing as part of Windows Server 2008, if your connected hardware supports it.

In case of other vendors, something such as VMWare Workstation or virtual box might be a good fit, but you had have to convert any existing VMs to work in it.

Dr. V Guest

Hello guys,

Whoever are running with this problem. I think ,It is not the supporting of Windows 7 issue, it is the problem of supporting of virtual PC application.

There is no issue what OS you are using and it does not compatible with x64 operating systems, Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7 does, if your PC contains the exact hardware requirements. You can check the hardware requirement from here : http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Thanks.

Have you seen 64-bit versions of operating systems any applications? By the way, you would need to try out some 64-bit editions operating environment execution on 32 bit supported CPU. VMware would be the ideal solution to do this but what is required?

Try out the implementation of the 64 bit OS running in the VMware with the previously configured system requirements .

Now a days, 64-bit has been more and more adopted, chances are you will need to check these new versions on your network.

A simple question with VMware is, "can I execute my 64-bit test OS in my virtual machine, In case,I only have a 32-bit CPU". The unfortunate reply would be , No. VMware does not facilitate CPU virtualization. All of the CPU requests are processes from the Guest to the Host's real CPU. Just Because of this, you require a 64-bit processor to run 64-bit Virtual Guest operating systems.